Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 - default inventor Macro or API command button will not work in 2014

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Mark_Wigan
4240 Views, 19 Replies

2014 - default inventor Macro or API command button will not work in 2014

ok, i installed 2014 yesterday, and using all default configurations the 2 buttons (Macro or VBA Editor as per snapshot attached) will not do anything at all.

reboot inventor and workstation no change.

so i then...

did a repair no change.

did a reinstall, no change.

install SDK user tools and Developer tools no change, uninstall same, no change.

multiple reboots of inventor and workstation, no change.

unloaded many standard inventor add-ins (as per default installation) , no change.

pointed default vba project to custom location, no change.

i have never seen this problem with any version of inventor to date.

anyone else seeing this?

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

What happens if you press Alt+F11?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 20
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: mrattray

hi Mike,

nothing at all with that either, which was actually my usual approach, when the keyboard did not work i tried the buttons.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 4 of 20
mrattray

Try changing your default project file to this one and restart Inventor.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 20
xavier_dumont2

It's a known bug in the Beta version, but it seem it's always here in the RTM.

In order to fix this, in your Inventor installation files, go to 3rdParty\x64\VBA\Vba71033.MSI (or x86 for the 32b version) and install the MSI regarding the language of Inventor (1036=French, 1033 = English, etc.).

This will fix the VBA.

Message 6 of 20

Mark,

Can you please confirm the exact OS version & locale you are running ? Also which installer did you use to install Inventor ? PrDS, FDs, other suite, or "just" Inventor.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 20
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: xavier_dumont2

thanks xdumont that fixed it. !!!

quote:"In order to fix this, in your Inventor installation files, go to 3rdParty\x64\VBA\Vba71033.MSI (or x86 for the 32b version) and install the MSI regarding the language of Inventor (1036=French, 1033 = English, etc.).: "

unquote.

Chris, just to answer your questions on this, and note that before i read the updated responses this morning, i actually had uninstalled inventor last night and installed it this morning, using all the usual precautions. still no change to the problem.

OS is win7 64bit SP1 (but this specific pc is running home premium). i will let you know if i have the same issue on my other workstations which are win7 64bit ultimate.

i installed off the usb stick that autodesk shipped to me for my English version of PDSU. And, at time of installation, i chose all the offered suite applications to be installed except vault, alias and mudbox.

i made sure not to change any application options especially default vba project, before testing the buttons or ALt+F11. the only thing that ended up working was the language pack manual install as noted above!

thanks again for everyones responses, i am back to work again.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 8 of 20

Thanks Mark,

If you look at Control Panel, Region and Language, what do you have set for Format & Location ?

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 20
Mark_Wigan

hi Chris, mine are set to English Australia as per snapshot.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 10 of 20
Mark_Wigan

hi Mike, sorry i did not reply earlier this morning...

that blank .ivb file did not help.

by the way it may be interesting for future reference, that after i reinstalled inventor last night and this morning i took note that the default location for VBA project is different to what i have been aware of in earlier versions.

see snapshot showing new path... at least on win7 OS

best regards,
- Mark

Message 11 of 20

@Chris Mitchell

Hi Chris, how are you?

FYI, we have exactlly the same bug on my computer and on an another one (Win 7 64b French, regional settings French-Switzerland, PDSU 2014 64b ENG).

I open an Autodesk support request (#08322532) for that.

Message 12 of 20

Hi Xavier,

Well, I was better before I knew about this !

Yes, this issue was reported and fixed during the Inventor beta timeframe. However, the fix did not get carried over to the Suite installers; "why" is being discussed...

The workaround you mention is the only current workaround for non-English locales. A Technical Solution will be produced, (hopefully tomorrow). This will also impact Suite deployments; it's currently being investigated if it can be addressed with a simple edit to the setup.ini file.

Mark - that location for default.ivb is consistent with previous releases; was there a concern/issue with that ?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 20

For my point of view it's not a major bug. The fix is very easy to apply.

Have a nice week-end.

Message 14 of 20
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: xavier_dumont2

hi Chris,

the location i listed is what i took careful note of after i reinstalled and when i still could not get the api window to show up. i mentioned it because i was surprised to see that i had moved. (i did not move this default location to the public documents area as the snapshot indicated...)

the location of the default.vba has always as far as i know, been under the bin folder of the program files\inventorversion.

it would be interesting to see if all installations are getting the old "...\bin\" location or this apparent new location?

i aggree it is not a major bug & it is very easy to sort when you know how, thankfully our new best friend came to the rescue 🙂

best regards,
- Mark

Message 15 of 20
robmatthews

Hey Mark.

Thanks for mentioning this; we also had the same problem, and this thread gave us the solution.

Cheers.

Rob.

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 16 of 20

xdumont offered a "fix" for this:

"In order to fix this, in your Inventor installation files, go to 3rdParty\x64\VBA\Vba71033.MSI (or x86 for the 32b version) and install the MSI regarding the language of Inventor (1036=French, 1033 = English, etc.)."

First, does anyone know if this has been fixed in any of the Service Packs?  Next, we dont have a service contract, so can we download this patch without having one, or do we need a service contract to download it?  We're on R2011, and it's kinda long in the tooth, so I'm betting we'll be going to a new(er) release sometime soon.  My boss still has "fond" memories of installing R2010 and finding that the VBA interpreter was GONE... (oops, gone from AutoCAD) and losing about a dozen Macros we had been using.  He's not too keen on repeating that.

Message 17 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

You can search for and download service packs here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads#?rows=10&sort=PublishDate&ADSKProd...

You don't need a service contract.

If your boss decides to upgrade, you'll be going to the latest version available. AutoDesk wont sell old releases.

You could have just downloaded and installed the VBA enabler for your AutoCAD.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 20
LonesomeJoe

Hey, Mike, thanx for the reply!  I presume R2014 is still current, though R2015 must be peeking out by now.  We've done service packs since dumping the service contract, but when we tried to get the BA enabler, we were told we needed a service contract... no biggie, we got by without VBA.  Is the VBA interpreter back in AutoCAD now?  thanx.

Message 19 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

2015 is out now (so the buzz says), the suites are going to be released any day now. No, VBA is still not in AutoCad by default as of 2014 version.
Whoever told you you need a service contract was either ignorant or lying to you to try and sell you a contract. VBA for the currently supported versions is abailable here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/download-the-microsof...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 20 of 20
LonesomeJoe

Fibbing to me just to sell a contract???  Oh, the HUMANITY...!!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report