Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Sweeps

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tneff2
838 Views, 5 Replies

2014 Sweeps

I've been having problems with how the new 2014 sweep feature combines faces. The attached part shows a pocket with a sweeped profile around the bottom extrusion edge. In 2013 the bottom face became a single face but now it has become two separte faces.

I've also noticed that sometimes Inventor will freeze up if I move the tangent part of the radius closer or farther away from the center point of the slot. The sweep has also errorred out to say that "the sweep feature was not able to combine faces".

I know Autodesk changed how the sweep feature was constructed in order to allow self-intersecting sweeps has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

- Thomas

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: tneff2

Not that this has anything to do with your problem, but -

why do you have two lines over top of each other (not counting the projected edge) with one endpoint not coincident with the arc?  Just curious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

@tneff2 wrote:
....if I move the tangent part of the radius ....

There is no Tangent.  Because there is no tangent constraint the profile loop can self-intersect (this is different than a self-intersecting sweep).

Try adding the missing Tangent Constraint.  Does the behavior persist?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
glenn-chun

Hi Thomas,

The problem with this particular sweep feature is that there are two edges between the two cylindrical faces.

two_coin_edges.png

They are supposed to be combined into one edge. I logged a defect (1501982) against this issue. By the way, this is not related to self-intersecting sweep.

Fortunately, an easy workaround exists:  Use two sweeps.  Sweep1 along three segments and Sweep2 along the remaining segment.  See the attached part.  It contains one less edge than your original part.  Also, it is a solid body, rather than a surface body. 

two_sweeps.png

Sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Glenn
ASM Development

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 6
tneff2
in reply to: glenn-chun

Hi Glenn,

Do you know if this issue will be fixed with the next service pack? My company makes these kind of sweeps all the time for our blister package tooling design. Inventor crashes every time we happen to make one of these features.

Thanks,

-Thomas

Message 6 of 6
glenn-chun

Hi Thomas,

Yes, this issue (1501982) will be resolved in the upcoming Inventor 2014 Service Pack 1.

Glenn

ASM Development

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report