Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Old Versions option

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mcgyvr
540 Views, 11 Replies

2014 Old Versions option

Not sure if this is a bug or just confusing help information..

I thought if you have your project file..options.."old versions to keep on save" set to (for example) 1 that you should only see 1 old version in the folder and it should automatically delete the older ones.. well that doesn't seem to be happening.. (for iassemblies anyways).

see attached.

I just cleared out the old versions folder this morning but you can see its not deleting the oldest versions as I expected it would..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

seems this is a bug (or done on purpose for some reason) for iassemblies (probably iparts too)

As this is only happening with the old versions folder inside the iassemblies parent folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 3 of 12
CESAR200

Hello Mcgyvr,

I cannot reproduce the problem.  There must be other conditions causing this issue.  I created a new 'Single User' project and tested with a very simple iAssembly composed of only 2 iParts.

The iAssembly, iParts, project file and OldVersions folder are all in the same parent folder. "Old versions to keep on save" was initially set to '1' and no matter what I do, Inventor only keeps one version.

Can you provide a sample dataset and exact steps to recreate this behavior?  Maybe the dataset is unnecessary if you can determine the steps that lead to this issue.

Thanks,

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: CESAR200

Cesar,

Once you generate the members then Inventor should automatically create a new folder for all the members and another OldVersions folder..

The factory old versions folder is working properly and only saving 1.. But its the old versions folder where the members are saved thats keeping multiple old versions. 

So my steps are..

I create a new iassembly factory file (with 3 members test1, test2, and test3) and save it as test.iam in the C:\CAD folder.. At that same level there is an OldVersions folder as there should be.. So C:\CAD\OldVersions  <this works fine and is only keeping 1 version as it should..

BUT when I generate the members of that factory iassembly Inventor automatically creates a new folder and a new sub folder .... C:\CAD\test and C:\CAD\test\OldVersions  <its this folder thats not deleting old versions and is keeping ALL versions. The first time I generate the members it creates test1.0001.iam, test2.0001.iam and test3.0001.iam

and then the next time I regenerate it creates test1.0001_1.iam then I save it again and it creates test1.0001_2.iam

So to say it in less words..

The factory OldVersions folder is working properly.

The members OldVersions folder is NOT.

The problem is that we have many iassemblies and our hard drive space is more than 50% filled with just iassembly member old versions. 

Message 5 of 12
mcgyvr

and an image showing what I'm talking about

#1-is the factory level

#2-is the old versions folder for the factory (working properly.. notice only one old version)

#3-is the member level folder

#4-is the member level old versions folder (not working properly..notice all the old versions)

Message 6 of 12
blair

If the iProperties is set to "Release" then the purge function will clean out all the "finalized" items. Not sure if it will help, or just copy them to an external USB drive for safety sake and then clean out the directory.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

@Anonymous wrote:
If the iProperties is set to "Release" then the purge function will clean out all the "finalized" items. Not sure if it will help, or just copy them to an external USB drive for safety sake and then clean out the directory.

Good to know.. I was playing around with "purge" the other day and it wasn't doing anything..I guess I need to set to "release" for it to actually work.

Of course I've NEVER used that design state iproperty before and don't want to start and manually having to go through HUNDREDS of iassy member folders to manually delete something caused by a bug isn't something I want or should need to do either.. I guess I have to..

I really just wanted to point this out so the bug/issue can get fixed for next time.  

edit... purge doesn't do a **** thing.. even when design state is set to "released"

Message 8 of 12
blair

iProperties>Status>Design State: "Released" will get the Purge to clear out the old versions. Guess one could change them all with iLogic. Might be cheaper to buy some USB drive and copy them over with a folder structure based on Date of Purge for safety sake.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
iProperties>Status>Design State: "Released" will get the Purge to clear out the old versions. 

Doesn't seem to work with iassembly member old versions... 

Can't try regular old versions as I only have 1 (as I should because my project is set to only keep 1)

Message 10 of 12
blair

Maybe time to add a external storage device.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe time to add a external storage device.

I've got plenty of storage space.. not an issue.. 

Its just sad that almost 50% of whats "used" on my cad drawings drive is filled up with iassembly member file old versions and it shouldn't be if Autodesk didn't have this "limitation or bug or half finished functionality" in the first place.. 

I'm just guessing that this will be deemed a "limitation" because it was probably never working as it should in the first place and they will say that the project file setting for # of versions to save does NOT apply to iassemblies member old versions folders. 

I have 15 gigs of Inventor files and close to 7 gigs of that are iassembly member old versions.. 

Message 12 of 12
CESAR200

Hi mcgyvr,

Thank you for the additional details and illustration provided.  I have logged this issue with our Product Development team and they have already confirmed it.  We cannot promise a quick fix but I can asure you the problem is being investigated at the moment.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report