Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 OFFSET issues

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Light_Guy
3683 Views, 27 Replies

2014 OFFSET issues

Using Inventor in 2014 Factory Design Suite Ultimate, I have run into an issue using offset in the 2D Sketch realm.

I have created geometry, a rectangle, and am beginning to add other items. I no longer require the dimensions for the rectangle so I delete them. However, once i have done that, the next item that I dimension after offsetting, causes the entire sketch to scale in accordance with the dimension I just set. I have to undo my way back to get my geometry right again and add the dims back and then I can proceed again. I have never had this problem before. Another odd thing, is that I can offset just one side of the rectangle, where normally the whole rectangle would offset. Is this new?

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
sdeoghare0304
in reply to: Light_Guy

When I created a rectangle (or irregular shape), I try to enter value for one leg of rectangle, the rectangle gets scaled proportionally based on the dimension I provided for that one leg. please reply.

Message 22 of 28
JDMather
in reply to: sdeoghare0304

@sdeoghare0304 wrote:

please reply.

What is the problem?

Post *.ipt file that demonstrates the problem you are experiencing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 23 of 28
sdeoghare0304
in reply to: JDMather

1. First I had created a rectangle (size 20x20) and provided dimension to only one side of rectangle (see snap-1)
  2. When I am editing this dimension (i.e. changing this dimension from 20 inch to 15inch) the rectangle gets scaled proportionally based on the dimension change(size 15x15). Also the adjacent rectangle shone in the sketch get scaled in the same proportion. (see snap-2)
Message 24 of 28
JDMather

I don't understand why this is a problem?

You should fully define all sketches - so simply add the remaining dimensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 25 of 28
sdeoghare0304
in reply to: JDMather

I don’t have remaining dimension.

I am facing this problem when I copy multi-dimensional irregular sketch from autocad and paste this sketch in to inventor. After that I want to change only one dimension in the sketch. For that I select dimension tool and provide dimension only to that line and edit it as needed. But it changes and scaled entire sketch.

Any solution to provide to change only length except entire sketch?

Initially I was using inventor 2012 version (at that time I had not faced such a problem) but I am now facing this problem in inventor 2014.

Message 26 of 28
JDMather

@sdeoghare0304 wrote:

I copy multi-dimensional irregular sketch from autocad and paste this sketch in to inventor. ...

That is new information that you withheld in earlier posts?

Can you attach the file here?

I would look into Sketch Blocks.

EESignature

Message 27 of 28
Light_Guy

Its Inventor so it likes to have EVERYTHING dimensioned. Just add that dim for the other side and your sketch will be like you want it again. I feel your pain on this, its a matter of working within the Inventor work flow. It assumes that you want to keep things proportional as originally sketched so when you add that one dim, it scales the other side to keep it in proportion. Inventor was changed to act this way because the guys building the crazy new stuff that still exists in their heads don't have dimensions yet. When you are recreating and already have set dims, its just a matter of working within the confines of the program. It has taken me a bit of time to get used to but now I just automatically dim everything.

You said you were pulling in 2d sketches from AutoCAD, are you going back to AutoCAD for the drawing or dropping it to an Inventor drawing?

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 28 of 28
JDMather
in reply to: Light_Guy

@Light_Guy wrote:

Its Inventor so it likes to have EVERYTHING dimensioned. ...

Inventor Sketch Blocks might solve the problem.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report