Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Load times

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dick_upton
826 Views, 7 Replies

2014 Load times

My coworker has a laptop with 7200RPM drives striped at RAID 0. Running Windows 7 64-bit with all Service Packs. NVIDIA GTX570M, I7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz, 12GB RAM . . . so it is no slouch.

He's seeing load times for Inventor 2014 Professional of about 4 to 5 minutes.

I have nearly the same computer but with striped SSD Samsung drives. Ok, the only difference I know of is that I didn't load the truckload of garbage along with the Inventor (Sketchbook, Mudbox, all that stuff). My load time is about 20 seconds.

This is consistent for him.

What could be causing the extended load times? I'm on the verge of suggesting ripping all Autodesk software off the box and restarting with a barebones install . .  Inventor and AutoCAD only. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Richard

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: dick_upton

Did he (or whoever did the install) follow the AutoDesk recommended installation procedure? (turn off UAC, disable anti-virus, etc.)
Does he have a ton of add-ins loading?
The SSD's will make a world of difference, but 4 to 5 minutes is still ridiculous. Having the other software installed should not be a factor. I have the full PDS Premium on my machine, and Inventor loads in about 20 seconds on mine.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
dick_upton
in reply to: mrattray

is there a link to the official recommended installation procedure?

He's going to do a full reinstall this weekend. I'm suggesting he forgoe all the Sketchbook Mudbox and other fluff. Sorry developers I mean fluff in the absolutely nicest way.

Message 4 of 8
mrattray

AutoDesk Software Installation Guide

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 8
dick_upton
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks Mike.

We also are doing some machine maintenance - a defrag and updating graphics driver, running CCleaner.

Message 6 of 8
LT.Rusty

@dick_upton wrote:

@Anonymous coworker has a laptop with 7200RPM drives striped at RAID 0. Running Windows 7 64-bit with all Service Packs. NVIDIA GTX570M, I7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz, 12GB RAM . . . so it is no slouch.

He's seeing load times for Inventor 2014 Professional of about 4 to 5 minutes.

I have nearly the same computer but with striped SSD Samsung drives. Ok, the only difference I know of is that I didn't load the truckload of garbage along with the Inventor (Sketchbook, Mudbox, all that stuff). My load time is about 20 seconds.

This is consistent for him.

What could be causing the extended load times? I'm on the verge of suggesting ripping all Autodesk software off the box and restarting with a barebones install . .  Inventor and AutoCAD only. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Richard

Huh.

My laptop at home (i7-2630QM, GT540M) loads Inventor about as fast as your machine does with higher specs.  My desktop at home, which got its last major overhaul in 2008, loads Inventor 2014 in under a minute.

Both machines have the full Product Development Suite 2014 Premium installed, with all the goodies except for Vault.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
blair

It also help to check the computers performance. This can be run from the: Start>Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools>:Re-Run the Assesment.

Look at the Primary hard disk: Disk data trasfer rate. If this is the same on both machines, then I would be looking at either:

1.) bad install

2.) bad project file

3.) bad user profile

4.) possible A/V software that's scanning IV files, ipt, iam idw....

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
samiharada

Please make sure that your Windows Experience Index is reasonable (especially Primary hard disk

subscore is good).

If you are using network license, network performance would affect the startup time.

Open "About Inventor" version box  (click dropdown triangle of help (?) on the application title bar),

click [Product Information] then try to borrow license.

If this improves the startup performance, you may want to ask your IT admin to review your network

configuration.

Hope this helps,

-Sami Harada

Inventor Framework QA

Autodesk Inc.

Email_Signature_Logobar.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report