Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013- Why can't Inventor find my Thread.xls

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
karthur1
10986 Views, 15 Replies

2013- Why can't Inventor find my Thread.xls

In my project file, under design data folder options, I have it set to c:\designs\Standards\Styles.  This is where I have my thread.xls located.

When I try to place a threaded feature, Inventor gives me a warning that it cant find the Thread.xls file.

It is looking for this file in c:\Designs\Standards\Styles\XLS\en-US\Thread.xls.  WHY is it looking here?  Where is it getting this path from?

2012-07-02_2232.png

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
blair
in reply to: karthur1

Try your Application Options: Under the Design DataCapture.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 16
SBix26

Because in 2013 the Clearance and Threads spreadsheets were moved to the XLS\en-US (or other localized name) folder under the Design Data folder.  So wherever you designate your Design Data, you will need to provide this folder structure under it to place your thread and clearance hole data.

Message 4 of 16
bobvdd
in reply to: SBix26

karthur1,

Like sbixler explained , in 2013  the threads.xls and clearance.xls are located in language specific subfolders of the Design Data folder. This was necessary to accomodate runtime language switching in 2013.
The xls file of one language cannot be used on another language, that is why we had to store them in different subfolders.

As pointed out, the remedy in your case is quite simple, create a XLS\en-us subfolder  below ...\standards\styles and copy the threads.xls and clearance.xls in the en-us folder.

So far the explanation on how it is supposed to work.
We apparently did not take migrated ipj sufficiently into account while implementing this new feature and especially ipj that do not use the [Default] design data location.

Bottom line is that  have logged a defect for the wrong behavior that you are seeing.

1466496 Threads.xls cannot be found when migrating an ipj that has its Design Data path hardcoded

Just to reassure everyone, when you change the Design Data location in 2013 from [Default] to a specific location, everything works fine.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 16
CAD-One
in reply to: bobvdd

You said.... the remedy in your case is quite simple, create a XLS\en-us subfolder  below ...\standards\styles and copy the threads.xls and clearance.xls in the en-us folder.

I am not clear where is this ...standards\styles

Can one of you guide me. Does this need any project file modification?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 16
bobvdd

I used the original poster's screenshot to come up with the folder location c:\Designs\Standards\Styles\XLS.

The situation on your machine will of course be different. That is why you could not locate that folder.

The default location of the threads.xls in the English version of Inventor 2013 is at

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\XLS\en-US

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 7 of 16
CAD-One

Sorry to ask again.Its a little confusing.  In my case I want to discuss the inventor not finding "Thread.xls" in context to the project file.

In my project browser if I select my project file, in the details window below the

Libraries - Show correct libraries

Folder Options - Show correct Dign Data, Templates & Content Center

If I manually browse to that Design Data folder I can find the the Thread.xls there.

Now some one please guide me what should I replace the Project file -> Folder Options - > Design Data to ?

INVENTOR 2013.PROFESSIONAL

VC2013

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 8 of 16
bobvdd
in reply to: CAD-One

Looks like the default definition in your project path is correct.

It just seems that your Threads.xls is in the wrong location

What I would do if you get error messages when creating threaded holes in the English version of Inventor 2013  is  the following:

1) Go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\

2) Create a Subfolder XLS  (if it does not exist yet)

3) In folder XLS create a subfolder en-US (if it does not exist yet)

4)Move your threads.xls and clearance.xls files from folder
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data

into folder

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\XLS\en-US 

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 9 of 16
CAD-One

Bob,

I will try to explain my problem & try not to confuse.

I am not sure if the solution you provided is helping me. becuase my design data path is defined in the ProjectFile.

If change some paths and files in the Design Data folder in the local drive, it wont help (Because per the Project file Inventor will look for design data (Network location)  as defined in the ipj file)

Here is a snap shot of my Project File :

Project File

And I already have a Thread.xls in the location you explained. Here is a snap shot.(But I still get the error)

Thread location.JPG

My question : Do you think that I have to change paths my project file ?

Just so you know we are many engineers using this global project and it defines the Style Library definitions. If I edit the contents to direct to local drive I am thinking it might mess the function.

Please suggest.

Thanks

C1

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 10 of 16
SBix26

The folder in your case needs to be as follows:

M:\Libraries\Design Data\XLS\en-US\

Place the two files there, and you should be good to go.

Message 11 of 16
CAD-One

Will try it and post back here. I see what you mean. I think it might work.
Thanks
C1
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 12 of 16
CAD-One

Sam ,

Thank you very much for guiding me here. It all all worjked out fine.

Just one little thing different.

I had to create new folder structure like you (you guys) pointed out.But, I didnt have make any changes to the ipj file.

Thanks

C1

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 13 of 16
SBix26

@CAD-One wrote:

I had to create new folder structure like you (you guys) pointed out.But, I didnt have make any changes to the ipj file.

The path I gave you was meant to exactly match the ipj you showed, so that was the expected result.

Message 14 of 16
travis

Wow,

Super easy solution, but really?

I have yet to install an upgrade to inventor that did not break something.

Glad i could find this post anyway, thanks.

Message 15 of 16
dhaggen26
in reply to: blair

I am experiencing this problem currently at work. After going to Application Options what exactly should the next step be towards retrieving the thread file I need.

Message 16 of 16
karthur1
in reply to: dhaggen26

First, look at the Getting Started tab> Projects, pick the project that your using if its not already selected.  Expand the "Folder Options" node. If there is a location other than "." listed in the Design Data, then this is the location that is being used for the thread information.

If there is a "." there, then Inventor is using the default location for the information.  Go to Tools>applic Options> File tab.  In the design folder box is a path.

The thread information will be under a \XLS\en-US (if you are using the english version) regardless of where its being pointed to.

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report