Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
Message 1 of 20 (707 Views)

2013 SP1 - Still problems with appearances

707 Views, 19 Replies
10-09-2012 03:44 AM

Hi,

While I was running Inventor 2013 with Update 2 and SP1 Beta installed, I recreated all my custom materials/appearances. After this all thumbnails were ok and I was finally done with this annoying bug. So I thought.....

When SP1 was released, I un-installed SP1 Beta and installed the release version (about 2 weeks ago). This morning I noticed that my thumbnails were all messed up again. I'm not sure if this was also the case just after I installed SP1, I just noticed it this morning.

I know there are still problems with SP1, so I un-installed it and went back to update 2. I even restored a backup of the material library (although it didn't change according to the 'modified' date in windows explorer). But still no thumbnails..... I re-installed SP1 beta, but this also didn't help.

I'm now back at SP1 (build 170) and I'm not sure what to do now. Is this still a known bug? will this be solved in the final release version of SP1?  How will I know that when I update the material library again my thumbnails will remain? I'm getting a bit tired of doing the same thing over and over again....

Anyone have the same problems? Or can someone give me advise on what to do?

Thanks,

Daniël Reesing

IV2013 Pro SP1 (build 170) 

Valued Contributor
Message 2 of 20 (705 Views)

Re: 2013 SP1 - Still problems with appearances

10-09-2012 03:51 AM in reply to: djreesing

You will have to wait for updated sp1 for this one.

I am also waiting, so that i can finally manage all the libraries and thumbnails.

There is also official notice from autodesk about that, but I can't find it right now.

Greg

Factory design suite 2013 premium
Some old workstation ...
Fancy HP LCD
:smileyhappy:
Message 3 of 20 (659 Views)

10-10-2012 12:09 AM in reply to: streharg

Then why couldn't I get it to work again when I moved back to update 2 and restored a backup of my material library?

This is all very frustrating....

Daniël

Employee
Message 4 of 20 (619 Views)

10-10-2012 08:24 AM in reply to: djreesing

Daniël,

Would you be willing to share your library with us so we can look at the problem closer?  You can post it or e-mail it to me directly.  

Tom Rang
Software Quality Assurance Manager
DLS – Design, Lifecycle, & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.

Employee
Message 5 of 20 (557 Views)

10-11-2012 04:51 PM in reply to: djreesing

Daniël,

I am very sorry for the trouble you have gone through. Tom forwarded me the Material Library you are using. Indeed, I have verified the problem. We are still in the middle of investigating the issue. In the meantime, I suggest you make a copy of the existing library as a backup and avoid editing the Materials and Appearances for now.

Do you remember when you notice the thumbnails are missing? Are you able to turn a style with thumnail to a style with thumbnail missing?

Thank you!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 20 (539 Views)

10-11-2012 11:13 PM in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

After I recreated the material library with update 2 and SP1beta installed I had no problems, the thumbnails were fine. I noticed they were gone again about 2 weeks after I've installed the first release of SP1 (the one thats pulled now). But that was the point that I noticed, so it could well be that the problem was already present before I installed the first release of SP1. I can't really remember.

When I noticed it, all my custom materials/appearances had lost their thumbnail. So there is no custom style left to try to turn into a style without thumbnail. I restored a backup of the material library from about a week before I installed SP1 (when I was running SP1 beta). But I still didn't have any thumbnails. I will see if I can find a backup of the library from right after I recreated it.

I'm currently running the RC of SP1.1, I will wait untill the final version will be released and then I will fix my library. Hopefully it will remain this time :smileyhappy:

Thanks for all the help.

Daniël

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 7 of 20 (502 Views)

10-12-2012 11:13 AM in reply to: djreesing

Daniel,

Just curious, is the thumbnail you are missing this one?

No_Preview.jpg

I get a preview of the appearance for the local appearances, but just not the thumbnails for my custom appearances that I have put in my Library. I'm using SP1.1 also.

Message 8 of 20 (459 Views)

10-14-2012 10:57 PM in reply to: karthur1

Yes, this is what I mean.

When you copy the styles locally and then save them back to the library the thumbnails should be fixed. I already did that when I had SP1 beta installed. But for some reason I have the same problem again.

I everything is still on track then today the final SP1.1 will be released. When I have installed it I will once again fix my library and hope that this time the thumbnails will remain.

Daniël

Employee
Message 9 of 20 (423 Views)

10-15-2012 10:45 AM in reply to: djreesing

I'm afraid I don't have much of an update currently.  We are still working to identify what has caused this.

Tom Rang
Software Quality Assurance Manager
DLS – Design, Lifecycle, & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 20 (356 Views)

10-19-2012 12:12 AM in reply to: rangt

So I have SP1.1 installed now and I wanted to fix my thumbnails again. When I copy an appearance to the document the thumbnails displays in the appearance browser (see image).

browser.jpg

When I copy the appearance back to the library, it seems to be working and the thumbnail now also displays correctly in the library (see image). So far so good....

browser2.jpg

When I then look at the appearance selection drop-down menu in the main window of Inventor, there is still no thumbnail there (see image).

drop-down.jpg

So I restart Inventor to see if that has any effect. But after the restart all seems to be screwed-up again, and the thumnail in the library is lost again (see image).

browser3.jpg

I've tried completely removing the appearance from the library, so only having it in the local document. It does seems to work then and I even have the thumbnail in the drop-down list. But when I restart Inventor that drop-down list thumnail is gone again. The strange thing is that when I open and close the appearance browser (without changing anything) the drop-down thumnail is there again! That is until I restart Inventor.....

Anyone else still having problems with the material/appearance library?

I also have another problem with the units of the physical material properties, see this thread

Best regards,

Daniël

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube