Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Crashes When opening part or making new part

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
waldroae
1181 Views, 3 Replies

2012 Crashes When opening part or making new part

As soon as I open a piece or try to make a new piece, it crashes! I can open the program but can't use it! I installed it and activated it and I can't use the program at all. I have sent many error reports beacuse I have opened it many times and had it crash many times and have always given my email address. Attached is the Error Report Details screen shot. 

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: waldroae

Did you turn off virus scanning, set the UAC to its lowest setting, and use an administrator account when you installed Inventor?  If so, did you run Inventor the first time with Administrator privileges?

Message 3 of 4
MartinBernat
in reply to: waldroae

Hi,

do you have any add-ins running? Try to turn them off and see if it helps. There is an add-in re-registration utility which may also be helpful - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13404176&linkID=9242018.

You may also try to re-register the Inventor.exe (it is also a part of the re-registration utility mentioned above).

Try to run c:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe /install ... replace the path with your location of inventor.exe of course. You'll need administrative privileges to run this.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Martin Bernat

Autodesk

Message 4 of 4
mflayler2
in reply to: MartinBernat

Oddly enough, I have seen this happen with the Advanced Visualizations in Inventor.  A user (me) turned on in the Appliaction Options to always use the Realistic Visual Style and the Ambient Shadows turned on (these settings are on the Display Tab).  What happend was he could launch Inventor, but as soon as he would try and open a file and the software would load the Visual Styles and the Shadows it would crash without ever getting to the model.

To fix it...a reinstall or repair did not help.

I had to delete the User Profile of the user and then recreate it so the settings would be default for the user instead of what changed on the profile that went bad.  Oddly enough just changing the Application Options would not help because when Inventor would open a file that was created successfully with Realistic and Shadows turned on, it would still cause the same result.  I was never able to track down exactly which file was adjusted by this and Autodesk never actually responded to my problem after I described it to them.  Gremlins, pure and simple. 🙂

If you have to do this, make sure you back up all your personal files before you delete your User Profile and recreate it.  Luckily I was not using the Administrator profile and had a Domain user profile instead so it just pulled it down from my domain when I logged back in and recreated it.

After recreation, I could open files that were created with Realistic and Shadows, but the Application Options for this is something I stay away from now.  I now use the Document Settings and just set it up in my templates to work the way I want to see the models.  The evil ones to avoid in there are Realistic, Watercolor, Monochrome, and Illustration and then any thing with shadows.  Not saying it wont work for some, but my system did not like it, and I have an Elitebook with a nice Quadro card in it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report