Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 to 2013 oh boy can you still change density in a material?

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
not2013
1337 Views, 21 Replies

2011 to 2013 oh boy can you still change density in a material?

When I pull up material it list 1 density but when I go to iproperties that material has a much different density therefore giving an incorrect. mass reading.     2 1/2 days to install 2013.

How do you get the density of a matreial in material editor to be the same as the material density in Iproperties?

or is this another autodesk bug?

thx

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: not2013

Have you installed SP1.1 and Update 2?

Attach example file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 22
not2013
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for the reply.   Pretty sure 1.1 is done, update 2 I have no idea. and I cannot install anything, that is up to the IT department.  How can i tell is or not?  This software is not like any other softwares where you gpo to about and it tells you what is what.

They already spent 2 1/2 days trying to get 2013 to work not sure they want to spend anymore time on this software.

Message 4 of 22
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:

This software is not like any other softwares where you go to about and it tells you what is what.

Huh?  That is what I just did?  It shouldn't take 2 days to install Inventor?

Might get your VAR to help if IT doesn't know how to install software, something isn't right.

About.png

Can you create a simple cube or cylinder that exhibits the behavior you are seeing and attach the file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 22
not2013

I do not see a "about inventor" anywhere.  Could you please tell me where it is so I can ascertain whether update 2 was installed or not.

thx

Yes we are well aware that no software should take that long.  But autodesk products always cause much trouble when installing or upgrading according to our IT dept.  They say becase the software is not written well, which is what I say myself.

Message 6 of 22
JDMather

Can you create a cylinder and attach the ipt file here?

Message 7 of 22
not2013
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, thank you here it is.

Message 8 of 22
blair

Try opening hte little Question Mark in the circle, upper RH corner, drop down dialogue box had the "About" at the bottom.

2 1/2 days to install, maybe your company should be looking to update the IT department

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 22
JDMather

The file you attached shows material as Generic (density of water 1g/cm^3).

Message 10 of 22
mrattray

It only took me about an 1.5(?) hours to install the full Product Design Suite Premium 2014 a couple weeks ago. (I don't remember how 2013 went, too long ago for me)
2.5 days? Sounds like clock milking to me.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 22
not2013
in reply to: mrattray

Had to install 4 times before it worked. It didn't work until the 4th install and in-between there was a lot of searching for why inventor will not open. So at least 1 day as spent asking Autodesk and the seller what to do, and they could not help. It is working now but cannot get an accurate mass till I can get density to work correctly. Keep getting 2 readings on the density.

David Tichenor
Design Engineering
(708) 547-2913
Message 12 of 22
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:
... It is working now but cannot get an accurate mass till I can get density to work correctly. Keep getting 2 readings on the density.

David Tichenor
Design Engineering
(708) 547-2913

Can you attach ipt and screen shots that illustrate this behavior?

Message 13 of 22
mrattray

If your standard support channels are useless (like mine) then I would try here next time you run into installation issues: Installation & Licensing

Did your IT people follow AutoDesk's installation guidelines? (turn off anti-virus, turn off UAC, update everything, etc.)

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 22
japike

I notice in my install of inventor, when I look at density in the materials it is listed as lbs/in^3 while in properties it's listed as g/cm^3. Could that be your difference?
Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 15 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: japike

of course change in units does not change density.  (unless the units conversion is incorrect)

Message 16 of 22
blair

I create a null-weight material: I don't think you can put in a 0.0 density but if you put in something like 0.00000000000000001 for a density you should be fine

I think you are confusing the density of a materal and the mass of an item. Most materials are metric and the model template converts to a unit that matches your model template units.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 22
not2013

Yes two different units of measurement.  I assumed that they would both be in grams.

That is the problem.   Now how do I get Material Editor to show the correct units?

Message 18 of 22
not2013
in reply to: blair

No but that's ok.  The densities were listed in different units.  The lbs density is incorrect though.  It should be the same value only in Grams not lbs.   Then the mass reading will be correct.

I need to change the units in the Material Editor now.

THX

Message 19 of 22
mrattray

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 20 of 22
japike

Lower left or the materials browser there is an icon with a drop down arrow. Click the drop down and there is an option for setting the units.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report