Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 simulation interaction questions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
safiredesignengineers
628 Views, 4 Replies

2 simulation interaction questions

Hi Group

When in simulation (2012) and joints and contacts are set and when the simulation isn't actually running / being played:

a) I can grab moving parts with my mouse and move them and they react with the movement and contacts but there seems to be a stretchy delay to the movement, why is this?

i.e: I grab a part of the model with a left click mouse button and pull with the button held and there is a black arrow appears that stays with the mouse and the model moves in the direction  am pulling, when I start pulling there is a delay and if I pull out a bit then hold my mouse still the moving part bounces back and forth from where my mouse is positions, it is like the black arrow is actually elastic??

I would like an instant movement as you get when pulling a model in the assembly space. is this possible

b) when I have springs added to the simulation they don't work when the play button is not running, when i move the parts with my mouse they actually move and change size as if they are working but the spring force is not there. I would like the spring force to be engaged even when the simulation is not running so that when the part is pulled on the screen it reacts as it should.

Is this possible?

Regards Adrian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Ok, i just sussed out that by changing the image setting value in the simulation player box to a much lower number it reduces the delay and elastic effect but it is still a bit clunky.

Regards Adrian

Message 3 of 5

Also is it posible to have gravity on in the simulation enviroment when the simulation is not playing so thet when you move the model with the mouse gravity has it's effect?

regards Adrian

Message 4 of 5

Hi Adrian,

Dynamic Simulation has what you're looking for.  The feature is called Dynamic Part Motion.  It will include gravity, force, torque, spring, etc. forces.  It is so you can interact with the model dynamically through dragging.

What you're seeing with drag is called "DPM Lite".  It doesn't include things like external loads, gravity and springs when you interact with it.

The reason you're seeing the "rubber band" effect is that when you drag, it is actually appling and external load.  The load increases the further the "rubber band" is stretched.

You can define the load according to distance in the DPM dialog.  Also there are damping settings, a toggle for deactivating imposed motion, etc.

Hope this helps!

Best regards, -Hugh

DPM.png

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 5 of 5

Hi Hugh

thanks for your reply, that works although I need to play with it a bit now to give my thoughts.

I was playing with a mess about simulation and I had a situation where if I run the simulator normally it plays and does it's stuff, but if i run dynamic motion on the same device a window pops up saying "impossible to proceed with the simulation. check the input data" ? 

why would i get this message on dynamic motion and not in the player?

and in this scenario is there a way of finding out why it won't proceed and what data to look at?

regards Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report