Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workflow for reusing Inventor frame generator models

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jaeckerb
646 Views, 3 Replies

workflow for reusing Inventor frame generator models

I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to reuse frame generator models. I'm regularly creating multiple versions of a simple steel framed cart for touring stage shows. I've built a frame generator model that I'd like to reuse in multiples for a single project.

The issue at hand is finding a straightforward work flow to expedidte this process without creating non-unique files all over the place.  Since simply copying or pack-n-go'ing a model doesn't change file names this seems like a likely headache. Doing an iPart type assembly seems complicated, but something I haven't really looked into.

What I have tried is creating separate Inventor projects for each cart. This seems workable, but very cumbersome with a project that may have a dozen versions of that cart. Switching between project files is a pain. And creating projects within projects doesn't seem to sequester files when working in a higher level project.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks for your thoughts!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
PaulMunford
in reply to: jaeckerb

I think that you've spotted the answer to your own question here!

The Frame generator is very good for quiclkly Generating frames, but if you need to create a configurable design iAssemblies might be a better answer.

You could also look into iCopy:

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2010/05/icopy-for-inventor-graduates-from-labs.html

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 4
jaeckerb
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thanks Paul! I asked around and the iCopy approach was the only suggestion that came up. Sounds like I may have finally found the excuse to learn how the iStuff works. Thanks.

-Brian

Message 4 of 4

Hi jaeckerb,

I have a workflow I use to reuse frame generator frames, but it's not the most straightforward thing in the world, can you give an example or screen shot of how your frame files are typically created and stored now? If so I'll try to post some steps on how to do this.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report