Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weld offsets

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
andrewiv
1817 Views, 22 Replies

weld offsets

How come fillet is the only weld you can use with an offset?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewiv

Hi Andrew,

Is you question the following? In fillet welds, you can specify the offset distance for the Convex, Concave shape resulting in the fillet weld. Why is something similar not there for Groove welds?

This has come up in the past. Currently it dosent support it. If you want to identify certain faces of the groove weld to be different you could use the End Cap Painter tool in the weld environment. Once the tool is up you just pick the faces and you can specify a different color style for those faces.

Or did I misunderstood your question. Thanks.

shekar
Message 3 of 23
andrewiv

Sorry, should have been a little clearer. What I want is shown in the picture, a skip weld that is a butt weld. On the opposite side I want the same weld only offset from the shown side. Is there a way to offset the weld symbols on the leader like you can with a fillet?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 4 of 23
andrewiv

Anyone have any ideas?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

I think your question is can I do intermittent groove welds. By skip you are referring to intermittent welds. I'm not aware of a direct inventor command to do this.

However, you can try splitting the faces according to the skip that you need. Then do the groove weld between the split face and the other face. You need to split only one faceset though. Does that help? If you could confirm that I got the question right, I will add this to the list. Thanks.

shekar
Message 6 of 23
andrewiv

OK, let me try explaining again. Sorry, was using the wrong terminology. I want an intermittant butt weld with a stagger. The picture shows a fillet with a stagger, but you can't make any other weld a stagger weld.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 7 of 23
andrewiv

Sorry it bleeped out the type of weld, shoud have been square groove weld.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 8 of 23
Travis_j_t

give me files and ill play around with it
Message 9 of 23
andrewiv

Here is a drawing I just threw together to show my point.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 10 of 23
Travis_j_t

Well i messed around with it but didnt get much figured out. First im assuming your trying to make a no bevel butt weld that has spacing. well i couldnt find out how, i put a chamfer on the sheet and that let me run a fillet weld, if its for a drawing you might be able to use the catipiller command, not sure how it works. Well sorry i couldnt do better.
Message 11 of 23
andrewiv

That's OK, thanks for trying. I guess it just can't be done. However, this would be something to possibly add to the wish list for future releases

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 12 of 23
Travis_j_t

because i mostly design weldments and sheetmetal i would have to agree

for bringing it to autodesk attention
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

As of now there is no direct Inventor command to do this. Ok I pulled a picture from the web for intermittent stagger weld for fillets. I think you need someting similar for butt welds. The newsgroup is filtering out the word batt weld and putting ***. Replace the 'a' in batt to 'u'.

I created a fake component to create the groove welds. Understood sizes might be wrong. Then hid the component. This might be useful in the interim? Thanks.

shekar
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

R11 dataset
Message 15 of 23
andrewiv

Thanks, but all I really need is just the symbol on the drawing. Since my company doesn't use weldment, we just make assemblies and add weld symbols on the drawing. I would like to start using weldments, but I the man that makes those kind of decisions doesn't like change. We don't even use the content center, which is very frustrating.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

Please use this. The zip file went bad
Message 17 of 23
lneufeld

bump...

did this thread ever go anywhere? What is the reason that stagger function is not available for weld symbols on IDW for certain weld types, such as flare bevel groove weld?
Message 18 of 23
jyager
in reply to: lneufeld

This really needs to be addressed. No reply since 2007?

First I'm strictly speaking about the annotation of welds in an .idw/.dwg...I'm not addressing weldments at all.

I have a piece of formed sheet metal being welded to a flat sheet requiring a staggered/intermittent flare bevel weld. I can't show this weld because Inventor only allows fillet welds to have their symbols staggered in the weld annotation function (from the pulldown directly above the tail note...it's greyed out unless you have fillets selected).

So the functionality is there, but only for one type of weld?

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
Message 19 of 23
Stormraven
in reply to: jyager

This failing continues to be true in Inventor 2015.  Staggered intermittent welds are available only for fillet welds, not any other type of weld.  I continue to hope that Autodesk will improve the functionality.

Message 20 of 23
j.roebuck

Bump in 2018, Inventor 2018 also doesn't have this.  It would be a good addition.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report