Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using trace in inventor dynamic simulation

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
safiredesignengineers
1779 Views, 12 Replies

using trace in inventor dynamic simulation

hey group

im playing with traces in dynamic simulation and in the output grapher i get values for position like:

P

P(x)

P(y)

P(z)

and in the graph i get some values of the position but i am unsure on where the datum is at this point. I would of thought that the datum would be where the trace is attached? can anyone advise where the datum is based and is it possible to set a relative datum to when the trace is set?

regards Adran

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

@safiredesignengineers wrote:

... is it possible to set a relative datum to when the trace is set?

regards Adran

The Wasim Younis book covers this.  I will try to post an example in a couple of days (not at my Inventor computer till then).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 13

Hi JD

Wasims book does cover this but it is quite general info. I can attach a trace and I can set some origin positions but it is not easy to get exactly what i want.

I can set an origin with reasonable control via the output grapher by selecting "new"  instead of one of the parts in the drop down list and this enables me to set X and Y origins and directions but once set i cant go back in and edit them again other than move the origin? i am unable to edit the x and y data for this origin unless i create a new origin again.

Also i would of thought i should be able to set a point and direction and then my information would be zeroed about this point set in a incremental way.

I need to play more to be able to explain in more detail.

regards Adrian

Message 4 of 13

Attach your assembly here.

I think you need two trace points, one to establish your datum reference and one for relative distance from datum using the distance between points formula.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 13

Hi JD

this is only a mess about file 8-)

regards Adrian

Message 6 of 13

I did not see a New Curve defined in your assembly to track the relative position between the two points.

Relative Position.png

The Relative Position and Z Position curves are similar because there is little relative motion in X direction.  Zoom in on curves to see difference.

EESignature

Message 7 of 13

Hi Jd,

thanks but do I have to set my own equations each time I use a trace? is there a list of selectable equations or is this somthing i have to learn a lot about?

I would of thought that a selected point should be a relative position or an absolute position (selectable) and then results would come from that point.

From what I understand I have to set up my origin point, axis selection and then set up equations to get the desired results, this seems very long winded?

The model has xyz data already so surely this could simpler?

Regards Adrian

Message 8 of 13

... this seems very long winded?

The model has xyz data already so surely this could simpler?

Regards Adrian

You can copy and paste from a text editor.

I have suggested to Autodesk many times over the years to make this as simple as selecting a tool and then the two points of interest, but they simply reply, "That's a good idea" and then toss it into the trash can.  One of these days I will convince them to send someone to shadow me for a school-year.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13

Hi JD

where do i find the commands to copy and paste?

the simulation enviroment seems to be very complicated and non logical, if this product was easier to use people would actuall do more with it!  and i would mind betting Autodesk sales would increase.

regards Adrian

Message 10 of 13

Hi JD

where do i find the commands to copy and paste?

regards Adrian 

Ctrl C and Ctrl V on the keyboard.  The process is covered in the Wasim Younis book.

EESignature

Message 11 of 13

Hi JD

Ok i deserved that!  what i meant was there must be a list of available commands that can be used in this enviroment?

Wasims book, ok I have had this for a couple of years and i have sort of flipped through it and tried a couple of bits but the problem is i want stuff to work logically inventor has cost me many thousands of pounds to purchase and keep up to date and i want it to work easily and it is not the most user freindly bit of software I have used over the years.

regards Adrian

Message 12 of 13

I doubt there are more than 5 people on planet earth (outside of Autodesk) who know how to use all of Inventor.

Digital Prototyping will never actually happen until comprehensive learning resourses (not to be confused with the "Help" garbage in Inventor) are developed.

I am in the process of trying to convince Autodesk that there should be a real "Autodesk University", but I haven't had time to produce a comprehensive proposal for the idea.  In any case, I don't vizualize my concept as a "do-it-yourself" learning process.  Inventor is a professional program and deserves  professional (graduate level, MS)  preparation of instructors to develop learning tools that the casual user can learn from.)

EESignature

Message 13 of 13

Hi Jd

that's the problem, simple processes like attaching a trace and getting the correct data from it needs a university degree to suss out the controls / methods!

I would agree that training is important to the process of design but in these modern times the tools we use should be simple and easy to use.

alot of people that design and create want to design and create not spend a liftime learning complicated controls.

I think this should and could be made a lot easier.

regards Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums