Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updated styles but won't recalc mass

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
signmeup
1180 Views, 6 Replies

updated styles but won't recalc mass

Hi there people. Here's one that's got me stumped. I've udpated my graphite density in styles from 2150 to 1700 kg/m3 and done an update child parts in an assembly to cascade the new density to all my graphite blocks. All the iProperties for the parts are showing the new density but the assembly iProperties is showing a density of 2036. I've tried Rebuild All, Update Mass, and closing and reopening Inventor but the Update button in the Physical tab stays grayed out. I have iParts in my assembly but the new density has cascaded through them ok.

I need to know my assembly mass! Please help!

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: signmeup

You would need to open each IPT in the IAM and change/update the material density, try doing the "Update" from the Physical tab of each part to refresh the data.  

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
stephengibson76

you could try calling it something slightly different, then use the assembly BOM to assign that material to the parts, then rebuild all

dont know if that would work

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 4 of 7
signmeup
in reply to: stephengibson76

Nothing seems to work. Opening iProperties for each part in the assembly shows the density as 1700 but the assembly density is 1899. The BoM material change was a good idea. I changed to Default but the iParts are locked so I opened the base part and changed the density there. So everything should now be 1000, but the assembly density is still higher. Although the iPart material was changed, the child parts are still coming through on this assembly and even when placed in a new assembly as material: graphite, density: 1700. Copying the iPart to a new file does produce children with the right density (1000) but to replace all my components in this way would be labour intensive and makes a mockery of using iParts to enhance productivity.

There are two significant problems here:

1. Assembly density does not match part densities.

2. Changing iPart material does not cascade to children unless a new parent file is created.

Autodesk please respond!!!!

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 5 of 7
signmeup

I've tried it now in a different assembly with no iParts and the same thing happens. The part shows the new density but the assembly won't update.

This is a serious error!!!

Message 6 of 7
signmeup

I've fixed one problem by creating a new style (let's call it "Graphite 1") and assigning that to the parts. This cascades the density change through normal parts.

For the iPart problem I found the fix here:

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9186

Josh Petitt's suggestion didn't work, but Todd Hudgins' did.

You have to assign the material to the iPart table (under Properties tab) then update the parent assembly. I can see the logic to this but it's not obvious.

Message 7 of 7
signmeup

see this link for another similar problem and potential solution to the iParts half of the problem

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Material-not-updating-in-dwg/m-p/2881088#M392185

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report