Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to migrate 9.0 internal file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
csludtke
361 Views, 7 Replies

unable to migrate 9.0 internal file

I am in the process of migrating our vault content from 2009 to 2014.

When opening some of the content, I obtain the following message

Document .... .ipt was created using in-development software (9.0 Internal) and cannot be opened using production or beta software.

We have an extensive library of configured iParts.  These parts were created in our environment using versions 5.0, 5.3, 6, 7 and 8. (Not sure how that corresponds to 9.0 internal)

I have several files that cannot be opened in 2009, 2012 or 2014 without presenting the user with he above message.

I have tried the following:

Using Task Scheduler / Migration with all variants of settings (2012 and 2014)

I either get a crash or a corrupted file with only one 'row' of many present in the iPart table.

I have attached a representative file.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
csludtke
in reply to: csludtke

Just remembered,

the attached item requires a site specific threads file.   I have attached that.

Message 3 of 8
bob_holland

csludtke,

I hate to break the bad news to you but this message indicates that these parts should be thrown away and they need to be built from scratch:

ipt was created using in-development software (9.0 Internal) and cannot be opened using production or beta software

We (Inventor support) know of no way to recover these types of parts.

Sorry.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Indeed, like Bob said earlier, the file was last saved in R9 Beta, triggering the error message to come up. You can migrate the files to R9 using R9 Task Scheduler. But, I don't think you will be able to migrate them to later releases directly using TS migration task.

There is a way to manually migrate it to later releases by skipping certain checks during file open. I don't recommend it as a standard procedure to perform, since the Beta files should be migrated to RTM of the same version, not to later versions. There could be problems. Otherwise, there should not be a need to perform the open checks in the first place.

For this particular case, you can add a System variable (Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> System Variables -> add "SkipOpenChecks" and set the value to 1. After that, this particular file can be opened. Please note that after you are done migrating these files, please reset the variable value to 0 or remove the variable.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
csludtke
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks,

I am working with my reseller to get a R9 / Win XP setup.  Not straight forward.

I have significant doubts relative to the validity of the the 9 internal version.   The authors of this content did not have access to any beta or internal software.

Still, I think I need to start with R9 + Service Packs and try to get to the bottom of this.

These parts have been used for years and we have not had problems.  Asking us to remodel them =  remodeling them and replacing these common components in 80% of all of our assemblies.  Huge job.

Message 6 of 8
erwin.bengl
in reply to: bob_holland

Is it possible that templates with the internal note "N:\Templates\BaseTemplates\English\Standard(in).iam was created using in-development software (11.0 Intern " were distributed by Autodesk itself in the standard template set (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor XXXX\Templates) in some localized Inventor versions since years at least until 2020? This doesn't seem to be a direct indicator of corrupt files.

Message 7 of 8
ampster401
in reply to: erwin.bengl

replied to a 9 year old thread.  Not sure if you will get any replies!

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: erwin.bengl

Hi Erwin,

It depends on the features or objects created in R9. It may or may not migrate to newer releases correctly. Please share an example here. I would like to take a look and understand the issue better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report