Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

translation of MDT files with Multiple ACAD appllications

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
radunn
434 Views, 2 Replies

translation of MDT files with Multiple ACAD appllications

I have tried to translate my Mechanical Desktop 2009 files into Inventor 2011 so that I can convert them to AutoCAD solids for use in AutoCAD Plant 3d, but even with Mechanical Desktop open, the launcher starts AutoCAD Plant 3D and I get the error "Mechanical Desktop 6 required".  I have tried changing the application that opens the files, but that didn't work.  How can I translate these files without uninstalling AP3D?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: radunn

I have not seen that before. Try opening a file in MDT 2009, then saving it. Exit the file and keep MDT2009 open. Then try IInventor  >> Open Options >> set to IMPORT. See below for full instructions (dated - article from the Creative Inventor - AUGI)

Converting Existing Mechanical Desktop Files
In order to convert Mechanical Desktop parametric models to Inventor parametric models and assemblies, you will need to have the matching Mechanical Desktop program installed and open before proceeding with the import. The 64-bit version of Inventor 2008/Mechanical Desktop will not permit importing and conversion of Mechanical Desktop files. You will need to create a 32-bit installation on a 32-bit Windows XP SP2 or Vista install.

In Mechanical Desktop, verify the part names within the file, as the Inventor Import will retain the same names. The import function is essentially the same as shown above, except that you have the option to import the layout sheets as well as the model. The layout sheets will import into an associated IDW file.

Here are the steps to import Mechanical Desktop part and assembly files into Inventor part and assembly files with associated drawings:

In the original Mechanical Desktop file, make sure that all parts and subassemblies files are properly named; ie, something other than Part1, Part 2, etc. make sure that you use unique part or assembly names for each separate part or subassembly.

In Inventor, select Open from the File pulldown.

Change the file type in the open dialog box to AutoCAD.dwg, and select your Mechanical Desktop file.

Pick on the Options button, select Import. Pick OK.

Pick Open to start the file import.

In the first page of the DWG/DXF File Wizard, you may verify that you are reading content from an Mechanical Desktop file. Pick Next to proceed to the next page.

If you are opening a file containing solids, then you will see the model view of the Mechanical Desktop file containing the parts and subassemblies. If you are importing layout views, then make sure that the appropriate checkboxes are marked. Pick Next.

In the third page of the wizard, you will see areas offering options for assembly, part and drawing views. In addition you may specify the proper templates that inventor will use during the translation. The final box on this page allows you to set the destination folder for all of the translated files.Be sure to choose a destination folder for your inventor assembly and part files.

Make sure that the detected units of the Mechanical Desktop file are correct so that the inventor files will match the correct unit type. Pick Finish to complete the import.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 3

Depending on what you're looking for it might be a lot easier to write out the MDT models to SAT files (AMACISOUT) and then read them into Plant3D (ACISIN), and not bother with all the migration through Inventor.

Just a thought that might help,

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report