Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

three versions of inventor 2011, 2012 & 2013 with different IPJ

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
warrentdo
404 Views, 7 Replies

three versions of inventor 2011, 2012 & 2013 with different IPJ

We are planning to have three versions of inventor 2011, 2012 & 2013 installed on all our machine to suit clients requirements.

We have different client on different versions.

We have more than one client on the same version but with different project files.

Is it possible to launch a specified version of inventor with a specified project file?

Currently I create a shortcut to a project file on the desktop and when we select the ipj it launches the last version of inventor that has been run but now we have three different versions of inventor this will not suffice.

Is it possible to launch a specified version of inventor with a specified project file?

Autocad does it fine with the old profile switch "D:\Autodesk\ACADM 2011\acad.exe" /p "X:\Applications\Autodesk\AutoCad\04 Profiles\Assystem.arg"

Regards

Warren.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: warrentdo

You can run them on the same machine, all of the registry settings go into version specific folders in the registry. I would simply launch Inventor using the actual Inventor shortcuts instead of double clicking the project file.
You can then simply switch project files from inside of Inventor when it's loaded.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
warrentdo

Hello, of course it can be done. Ive done it. and yes you can use the same ADMS 2013 does all three with the backpack.

I dont what users to change the project file, and of course change the vault working folder.

I would like it to be done through simple icons that sets up the inventor version and project file.

If the user selects the wrong Inventor version and vault project the data may get migrated.

I cannot risk that chance.

Regards

Warren.

Message 4 of 8
mrattray

I don't know how to do it with a shortcut argument, if it's even possible. How would you feel about a macro of some sort?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 8
blair

Since the file formats for each version of Inventor are different, I would go with completely different Project Files and separate directory structures. The older version won't be able to open the newer versions of Inventor files but you will be able to open older versions of Inventor files. Should someone migrate these older files you will have problems with the older Inventor data.

I would even incorporate the version into the project name just to help clarify which version of Inventor should use the project.

I would keep and use the standard desktop Inventor icons.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: blair

That's why I'm thinking it might be wise to use some sort of a macro that check the current Inventor version and checks it against the active project. That would add a valuable layer of fool-proofing to his set-up.
Warren, do you have access to anyone that's handy with code? I'm thinking if this was my problem, I would write a stand-alone executable that you could use to prompt your users for what project (s)he needs then launch and configure the appropriate Inventor version.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 8
warrentdo

Hello, I have 3 inventor versions and 9 clients so I have 9 sets of project files, templates, styles, all containing clients name and inventor version in naming. Currently I create a shortcut to ipj on desktop and change and rename icon. This launches inventor but last loaded and loads ipj. Now 3 versions of inventor I have a problem. AutoCAD no problem as you can do it via /p in shortcut. Yes, I think code would do it I was hoping there was another way as I've no code experience. Ive a feeling I may have by this time next week 🙂
Warren.
Message 8 of 8
warrentdo

Maybe this. Create a new desktop icon with icon to suit inventor version colour. Re name to suit client name & inv version. Add in launch bit of icon "C:\Program Files\autodesk\inventor 2011\inventor" "X:\application\autodesk\inventor\project file\bob 2011.ipj" it may work but currently in bed on phone. Will have to check Monday 🙂

Warren.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report