Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

technical forum, not a substitute for basic training

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Rich.O.3d
881 Views, 8 Replies

technical forum, not a substitute for basic training

Hey moderators

any chance of spliting this forum into 2 parts.

Part 1: Inventor Advanced Technical Forum

Part 2: Ive just downloaded the student version and rather than do some basic training google searching, ill get some busy experienced users to do my tutorial for me out of the goodness of there hearts forum

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Hey Richos,

AD is looking at and actually making a lot of changes to the boards these days.  Here is a thread they set up for our ideas on how to improve things.  They are reading and commenting on these, but that doesn't mean we'll get everyhting we want...  Smiley Indifferent

But seriously,... post your idea here and maybe we'll get lucky.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Discussion-Groups/bd-p/3011

Message 3 of 9
SBix26

One benefit of having the new users coming here without training is that we can indoctrinate them early!  Otherwise they come back here with five years experience of doing things very badly, due to poor or no training, and argue with us that this has always worked for them and they don't want our advice (or JD's particularly).

Message 4 of 9

Hi richos69,

I'm not sure I see an issue with new users asking "how to" questions here. If the "busy experienced users" are too busy  to help, then they don't have to. It's a peer to peer group, so there is no obligation.

I agree with your premise that it might not be the best way for new Inventor users to get started, but as sbixler points out it's not the worst thing in the world either.

Over the years, I've seen several individuals come to the forums and ask basic questions that made it obvious they hadn't had training or done the basic tutorials, and then see them become valuable forum contributors within a year or two.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 9

Thanks. Curtis Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
freegoodkharma

I thought that this was a kind of informal discussion group.  Everyone here has always been very helpful.  I had no idea that there were Inventor tutorials on YouTube until I came here.  Even basic training may be hard for some to come by. I have tried to take Inventor classes at my local collage and the classes are always cancelled for one reason or another and it takes forever to get your money back. The collage just keeps your money until you demand it back and will not transfer it to another class. The other training centers are like an hour and a half away and kind of expensive.  I hope that this forum does not split up, for the poor noobs sake.  Who would probably just post to the technical forum thinking they had a technical question.

Yours truly

Carl T.

Message 7 of 9
Rich.O.3d

Some seem to have missed the point of my post. (poor sensitive souls)

I don't mind the 'how to' questions, we all had to start somewhere.

If you check my history, I make a great effort to help people (I help a lot more than i ask, and am happy to do so).

If you notice I didn't say, 'don't ask the questions', I merely asked for the forum to be split, in a manner that gave me mirth (and may give a hint to some people to 'get real'.)

I mean seriously, there is a difference between beginner questions from technicaly minded people and people who obviously have biten off way more than they can chew.

If they can find and register to this forum, you would think they could use google or the help files that come with the program (or ask there lecturer / tutorial aid). Then start asking the appropriate questions here about things that may not be clear.

Google 'satire' (here's a help for the IT challenged  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=satire )

Then please reread part2 and apply some comprehension before you get defensive.

END RANT (for today anyway)    Smiley Very Happy

CAD Management 101:
Message 8 of 9
freegoodkharma

I am sorry that I did not get your satire, perhaps it is not your forte.

Therefore I will ask you, in your opinion short of classroom training do you offer any suggestions on how to become proficient user of Autodesk Inventor?

Please keep up the good work and please be kind to us lazy but curious students!  Abrasive stone polishes and sharpens fine steel.

Yours truly

Carl T.

Message 9 of 9
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: freegoodkharma

touche

i think your right...satire is not my forte

a lot of people learn the program 'on the job'...get a traineeship and work your way through the ranks or get a degree and then work your way through the ranks.I studied engineering at Uni for 4 years, then worked many lower paid jobs to 'sharpen my fine steel' before I joined the conultancy and designer ranks...its a long and treacherous path to becoming a good Inventor user.

google is your friend...there is tons of info on the web to get you started...there are lots of how to vids on youtube and on the autodesk sites, wiki has a lot of info too, and the help files that come with the program. (a sound understanding of engineering is also a massive help, learning a program like inventor without knowing the engineering is like trying to climb mount everest without any clothes on)

you just have to put up with some grumpy old farts like me on the tech forums sometimes. Most of the people who give good answers on here have had rants from time to time as some of us work in a fairly high stress environment and sometimes we 'vent' (appologies for any future rants dont take it personaly)

If your earnest about learning inventor, then good luck and hopefully I can help when the time is right. (look at JDMathers site, he does a lot of training and has some great tutorials)

CAD Management 101:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report