Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange symbol appeared in front of sketch name in browser,,,,

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
harold.rast15
2771 Views, 22 Replies

strange symbol appeared in front of sketch name in browser,,,,

i had an issue with runaway parameter generation in a sketch,, Inventor created 6647 parameters for the sketch while only a little over a hundred were legitmate,,,,  terrible slow of my system,,,, could not delete the exceess parameters,,,

finally deleted the sketch (.ipt file) and the (.iam) files I had started and which had become messed up - - - - -- 

now the original sketch NAME has a strange symbol in front of it in the browser,,

a curved red and blue pair of arrows,,

sort of arranged like the Pisces astrological symbol,,,,

i cannot find it in the help screens,,, of course I do not know it's name which makes searching more difficult - - - - 

can anyone help me with WHAT IS THE SYMBOL'S NAME,,,,,,,   AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN ?????

(right clicking on sketch name offers copy and delete,,,, BUT NOT SHARE SKETCH)   ???   

Harold Rast

please reply to marchwind36@gmail.com 

thanks

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
ampster402
in reply to: harold.rast15

a screenshot of that symbol may help.

Message 3 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: ampster402

adaptive

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 23
LT.Rusty

Like Mcgyvr said, it means that sketch is adaptive. What that means is that the sketch is drawing projected geometry from another source. I'm guessing that you edited this part in-place in an assembly, and projected geometry from one of the other parts in the assembly.

You can make the sketch not adaptive by right clicking and un-checking ADAPTIVE in the context menu that comes up.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 23
admaiora
in reply to: mcgyvr

As Mcgyvr said is the adaptive symbol.

32220.gif

You can find more about it here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-BAD3D06C-C03D-4894-9A8C-A50D450FDD2B

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 23
admaiora
in reply to: admaiora

Ops..

edit:.."like Mcgyver and L.T. Rusty said..." ..   Smiley TongueSmiley Happy

Admaiora
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 23
mcgyvr

You all are just copying me.. :)..

I win the prize ...

Now if I could just guess WTF the OP was doing that 6000+ parameters were automatically created..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 23
LT.Rusty

@mcgyvr wrote:

You all are just copying me.. :)..

I win the prize ...

Now if I could just guess WTF the OP was doing that 6000+ parameters were automatically created..

No, no, no, no.  Admaiora copied, but I explained, since your one-word answer (while maintaining the admirable quality of brevity) is unlikely to mean anything to a nub.  🙂

As far as what the OP was doing ... my guess is that he set things up to inherit parameters.  I've never tried deleting inherited parameters, but it's entirely possible that they can't be deleted because they weren't generated in that file.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 23
mrattray

I theorize some sort of a custom macro that got stuck in a loop.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:
No, no, no, no.  Admaiora copied, but I explained, since your one-word answer (while maintaining the admirable quality of brevity) is unlikely to mean anything to a nub.  🙂

As far as what the OP was doing ... my guess is that he set things up to inherit parameters.  I've never tried deleting inherited parameters, but it's entirely possible that they can't be deleted because they weren't generated in that file.

I was just leading the horse to water and trying to make him drink on his own..

How to learn from a 1 word answer..google.. "autodesk inventor adaptive" 🙂

Message 11 of 23
admaiora

Smiley Very Happy

OT  Nice that of the horse and water, is it a classic expression? Or is it yours? I have just marked it.  Smiley Happy

Admaiora

EESignature

Message 12 of 23
LT.Rusty

It's an old expression in English - "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 13 of 23
mcgyvr

@admaiora wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

OT  Nice that of the horse and water, is it a classic expression? Or is it yours? I have just marked it.  Smiley Happy

not mine.. 

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/you-can-lead-a-horse-to-water.html

Message 14 of 23
harold.rast15

thanks,,, i had created the sketch on a workplane providing me the 'viewing angle" needed,,,, had no idea this would create result in some special symbol

appreciate very much
Message 15 of 23
LT.Rusty

Easiest way to deal with this is to just create the work plane that you need in the part itself, rather than in the assembly.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 16 of 23
harold.rast15

you nailed it perfectly,,, and thanks of the link,,,
I will go there next,,,
appreciate
Message 17 of 23
harold.rast15

you are right,,,, I AM A NUB,,,,,,
WHAT ARE INHERIT PARAMETERS,,,, WHERE DO I GO TO "UNSET" that??
likely I CLICKED on something without meaning to or knowing what i did
but this sounds like a real possibility to me,,,,
Message 18 of 23
harold.rast15

thanks MCGYVR,,,,,,
your one word answers did go over my head,,,,
but i may "have an idea where the water is now"
thanks for mentioning --
How to learn from a 1 word answer..google.. "autodesk inventor adaptive" Smiley Happy
i did not know about that,,, had not thought to try to google it,,,
appreciate
Message 19 of 23
LT.Rusty

@harold.rast15 wrote:
you are right,,,, I AM A NUB,,,,,,
WHAT ARE INHERIT PARAMETERS,,,, WHERE DO I GO TO "UNSET" that??
likely I CLICKED on something without meaning to or knowing what i did
but this sounds like a real possibility to me,,,,

Take a look at the picture below, and notice the different types of parameters.  At the top you've got dXXX, which are dimensions.  Then there's Reference Parameters, then User Parameters.  Underneath that, you've got a bunch of parameters that are grayed out.  These are parameters that are brought in from a different file.  (In this case it's an Excel spreadsheet, but there's other ways they could come in as well.)  Does your Parameters window have parameters that are gray like these?  They can't be deleted in this part file - you'd have to delete them from the spreadsheet, or if they were from a derived part or something, they'd have to get deleted in that part.  Let's see if you have parameters that look like these, then we'll see about getting rid of them.

Capture.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 20 of 23
harold.rast15

LT.Rusty,,,,
i did create the sketch on the workplane in the .ipt file,,, not the .iam file
however when i placed the part into the .iam file,,, it carried the sketch with the part,,,

by the way will someone tell me what is the difference between
the "REPLY" and "QUICK REPLY" buttons,,,
obviously there is a reason for 2 of them - - - ?
Harold

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report