Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

split multiple solid bodies

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nstalker
732 Views, 7 Replies

split multiple solid bodies

I it possible to split multiple solid bodies.  I'm finding that it only allows me to split one body at a time.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
4donwan4
in reply to: nstalker

At this time there appears to be a limitation with the split command. If you would like to enter a wish list item asking for this to be considered as an enhancement please use the following link.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Regards,

Don

Message 3 of 8
nstalker
in reply to: 4donwan4

I filled out the suggestion form.  Thank you for your response.

Message 4 of 8
kadscad
in reply to: nstalker

great 5 years ago and it still cant be done

Kirk
Inventor 2023
Message 5 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kadscad

Hi! Indeed, it is true that this particular request is not yet fulfilled. I wish the command was available also. I am not sure if you are aware that Inventor supports multi-disjoint lumps. You can use split command or any cutting command to separate a body into multiple lumps. Then you can use Rectangular Pattern -> Body -> distance = 0 -> replicate the body. Lastly, use Delete Face -> Lump select to remove unwanted lumps from each body. It is a bit of work but it is doable.

Do you mind sharing an example of how you would use Split -> multiple solid bodies workflow?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8
kadscad
in reply to: johnsonshiue

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/dynamic-fill/td-p/8451459   

there is a 3d pdf with saved views attached in the post

No I'm not aware and you lost me. 

Inventor supports multi-disjoint lumps. You can use split command or any cutting command to separate a body into multiple lumps. Then you can use Rectangular Pattern -> Body -> distance = 0 -> replicate the body. Lastly, use Delete Face -> Lump select to remove unwanted lumps from each body.

kelly.young has edited your link address to the correct location for clarity.

Kirk
Inventor 2023
Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kadscad

Hi Kirk,

The link you mentioned here does not seem to work for me. I cannot see the thread. Regardless, the technique I mention before may or may not work for your case. It would be great if you could share an example here that you would like to split into multiple solids. Forum experts can help take a look and propose a solution. But, it is true that there isn't just one command allowing you to split one body into more than two bodies.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
kadscad
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The link you mentioned here does not seem to work for me. I cannot see the thread. Regardless, the technique I mention before may or may not work for your case. It would be great if you could share an example here that you would like to split into multiple solids. Forum experts can help take a look and propose a solution. But, it is true that there isn't just one command allowing you to split one body into more than two bodies.

Many thanks!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/dynamic-fill/m-p/8452393#M724380

Attached is a 3d pdf with saved views. I also attached an STP file I translated out from Microstation.

If the link above doesn't work this time search for my post "Dynamic Fill"

thank you

Kirk
Inventor 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report