Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spline leader

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
rclement
1873 Views, 13 Replies

spline leader

im bouncing back and forth between autocad and inventor and was wondering

in autocad theres a option to make your leader a spline. does that option exist in inventor?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: rclement

no not directly.. what are you doing that you need splined leader lines? 

Leader lines can be composed of multiple straight line segments though that could be used to wrap in and around your drawing. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
rclement
in reply to: mcgyvr

was just wondering saw it available in autocad figured it might be in inventor

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

I haven't tried it, but could this be accomplished with a Sketched Symbol?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't tried it, but could this be accomplished with a Sketched Symbol?

Yeah there are a few ways to accomplish it but nothing like an option in the styles leader section for "convert multiline leader segments to splines"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 14
rclement

would u mind sharing the proceedure. i know in autocad in options for spline leader

Message 7 of 14
mcgyvr

@rclement wrote:

would u mind sharing the proceedure. i know in autocad in options for spline leader

What we were trying to say is that NO....there is no option for spline leaders like there is in Autocad.

But you could possibly "fake" it by not having a leader and using just a drawn spline/text,etc.. in just a regular sketch or some tricks with a sketched symbol as a workaround. But if you have to do this more than a few times its going to be more work that its worth.. IMO.. 

Personally...I'd just use the regular leader tool and be happy with multiple straight segments.. 

Message 8 of 14
rclement

i understand not like autocad but previously you said can be done another way

Message 9 of 14
mcgyvr

@rclement wrote:

i understand not like autocad but previously you said can be done another way

yeah.. create a sketch...sketch a spline on the idw.. place some text at the end of it.. 

Message 10 of 14
JDMather

Expand the Drawing Resources and right click on Sketched Symbols and create new sketched symbol.

You can tie in a Prompted Entry or Parameter to this and then use whenever needed.  (put it in your template)

Sketched Symbol.png

or

just create a sketch in the view if this is a one-time need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
kimK7B54

Straight leaders are not nearly as easy to follow in a complex drawing with many object/dimension lines.  Back in manual drafting, straight leaders were rare.  Inventor did themselves no favor by dumping a lot of customization that was available in AutoCAD.  Until they bring it back, they will always be chasing SolidWorks.  Any decent, skilled draftsman would use splined/curved over straight.  It seems these days too many non-draftsmen/designers are just complacent with poorly written software and complain when the shortfalls are pointed out.

@mcgyvr wrote:

no not directly.. what are you doing that you need splined leader lines? 

Leader lines can be composed of multiple straight line segments though that could be used to wrap in and around your drawing. 

Message 12 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: kimK7B54

35 years in the machine design industry, spanning drafting board, Microstation and Inventor, and I have never used a spline leader nor been asked to.  I think it depends very much on what kind of drafting one is doing and who is using the resultant drawings.

As an aside, Inventor didn't "dump a lot of customization that was available in AutoCAD"; Inventor was created from scratch, if I understood correctly.  There is nothing of AutoCAD in it.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.3 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 13 of 14
kimK7B54
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 wrote:

35 years in the machine design industry, spanning drafting board, Microstation and Inventor, and I have never used a spline leader nor been asked to.  I think it depends very much on what kind of drafting one is doing and who is using the resultant drawings.

As an aside, Inventor didn't "dump a lot of customization that was available in AutoCAD"; Inventor was created from scratch, if I understood correctly.  There is nothing of AutoCAD in it.

Sam B
LinkedIn
You made my point perfectly.

Message 14 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: kimK7B54

@kimK7B54 wrote:

You made my point perfectly.

Well, I must not be communicating very well, because my intent was to refute two of your points:

1. "Back in manual drafting, straight leaders were rare."  "Any decent, skilled draftsman would use splined/curved over straight."  I've never used them or been asked to use them; I have only rarely even seen them; I consider myself a decent and skilled drafter.

2. "Inventor did themselves no favor by dumping a lot of customization that was available in AutoCAD."  This implies that Inventor was somehow a takeoff from AutoCAD, which was not the case.  AutoCAD is for any kind of engineering drawing; Inventor is intended for the machine design industry, where spline leaders are rare (in my experience in the machine design industry in the US).

I'm sure that spline leaders would be useful for some users, but your implication that Autodesk really dropped the ball here needed some correction, I think.

Sam B
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report