Inventor General Discussion

Employee
steven.dennis
Message 41 of 44 (154 Views)

Re: speeding up constrain execution

10-26-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: mrattray

OK so we seem to have narrowed it down to the part adaptively recomputing itself.  Thanks for sticking with us.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 42 of 44 (146 Views)

10-26-2012 08:33 AM in reply to: steven.dennis

I think the point I have been trying to make has been missed.  It's not so much that adaptivity can slow a model down, we all know that, it's that adding a mate or dragging a component triggers a partial rebuild.  If it didn't trigger the rebuild, adpative wouldn't parts wouldn't matter.  The OP shouldnt have to disable the intelligence in his model in order to quickly place a new part. 

I'm no programmer (I wish I was) but I would think say for a face/face mate that once the faces have been selected the logic would be move part A to part B, update the graphics, stop thinking.  The selection process checks that the faces are valid so I cant see why there is any rebuilding of parts, adaptive or not, 50 or 50,000.  Just place the part and stop, especially when the model is already up to date.

There are things I like about Inventor, if I didn't I wouldn't be spending my time testing its suitability for my business expansion.  In some areas it's far superior to its competitors, but in some it's not.

Steve I didnt mean to criticise your expertise, in fact the opposite.  Based on your position I assumed that you know your stuff so when you said 200 seemed a lot from your point of view I took that as informed advice about Inventors ability from someone that knows what he is talking about.  Sorry if it came across differently. 

Its great that you have found a work around for the OP but I hope you guys review the way Inventor handles mates.

Sorry but my data contains IP that I am not willing to release, and due to the relationships it's not easy to make a simplified model without it.

Employee
steven.dennis
Message 43 of 44 (137 Views)

10-26-2012 08:49 AM in reply to: stevec781

stevec781 wrote: 

I'm no programmer (I wish I was) but I would think say for a face/face mate that once the faces have been selected the logic would be move part A to part B, update the graphics, stop thinking.  The selection process checks that the faces are valid so I cant see why there is any rebuilding of parts, adaptive or not, 50 or 50,000.  Just place the part and stop, especially when the model is already up to date.

--------------------

Steve,

In the interest of a nice discussion, I wish it was that simple!!! :smileyhappy:  my job would be a lot easier.

This goes back to the variational vs. parametric solve I opened the thread with. In a parametric world it is as easy as you say, everything solves in sequence, one by one. You don't go back and resolve anything. lightning fast but then you also might get into mate groups or other issues that non-Inventor users might be famiilar with. You can't always be as flexible with a parametric solve but it IS predictable.

Variational says "something" changed, how can we solve this system. not just the last thing you added!  Our solver was built around variational concepts and adaptivity specifically.  But there is a cost for that flexibility, if you are unable to pay that cost or that flexible part of the design is over and done, turn adaptivity off and only reenable it when you make changes that affect that part(s).

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 44 of 44 (126 Views)

10-26-2012 10:55 AM in reply to: steven.dennis

Thanks for the explanation, the case for sticking with Inventor just got stronger.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube