Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
eleblanc
Message 1 of 44 (566 Views)

speeding up constrain execution

566 Views, 43 Replies
10-19-2012 11:53 AM

SO what is everyone say, trick about speeding up constrain execution. I have started working on this new project with 2013. And i'm finding myself losing alot of time. Basicly what i do is insert part from our database or content center and assemble them. So 80% of my activities on inventor are constraints. Right now i have this assemblies 175 / 156(small to me). And executing a constraint is minimum 4 seconds each time. If you consider that about 3 contraint is needed for each piece and final total part will probably be around 1000. i'm losing alot of time here

Yeah, i am not using preview. Why is inventor recalculating that much each time? Is it doing a rebuilt after each constraint?

What have you done that really increase the excution time of constraints?

Workstaion is

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Extreme i7cpu  I975 @ 3,33

12bg ram

4 ssd in Raid stripping.Nvidia FX3800

Inventor 2013 SP1

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 44 (545 Views)

Re: speeding up constrain execution

10-19-2012 03:53 PM in reply to: eleblanc

Are you using logic sub-assemblies?

Are you following efficient, robust techniques (beginning with part creation)?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/IS-INVENTOR-REALLY-USEFUL/m-p/1332811/highlight/true...

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 3 of 44 (529 Views)

10-19-2012 10:36 PM in reply to: eleblanc

I agree, its a big problem.  Adding mates, deleting mates, and moving parts by dragging causes inventor to think for around 4 seconds every time you do something.  Its not the time but the frustration of waiting.  It's competitors dont have this problem.  I am trialing solidworks and Creo at the moment and they are much faster.  This issue is one of the reasons I am looking at alternatives.

eleblanc
Message 4 of 44 (507 Views)

10-20-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: eleblanc

Amaze me that no one at autodesk offered suggestions. Anyhow a solution is to enable "defer update", basicly the part you are placing won't move until you update assembly. But i'd really like to now what the software is doing when "executing" a constraint. Could suppressing some already existing constraints in the assembly help, i will test that and report.

eleblanc
Message 5 of 44 (505 Views)

10-20-2012 08:15 AM in reply to: eleblanc

I did a test by simply suppressing all constraint of my assembly. And that did the trick. Now constraint execution is instant, just like back in earlier version. Now is there a way to get inventor to not do what it is doing with all other contraints so that doing more constraints are now slowwwwww. What we need is a much faster constrain execution (assemble isn't faster) or a option that would prevent the execution of doing what it does and all constraints in a assembly are unsurpress.

For now i will supress all contraints and ground my parts. I will continu on building my assembly and once every couple of hours i will unsupress all contraint unground all parts and let it update.

Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 6 of 44 (479 Views)

10-21-2012 03:53 AM in reply to: eleblanc

The problem with using defer update is that the part doesnt move when the constraint is placed and if you drag a componenet it makes no difference, Inventor still has to think about it for a while.

My guess is that it rebuilds the parts being mated to check that the faces are valid, and if I am correct then thats just stupid.  I have no idea why it thinks for so long after something is dragged.

Here's a simple test.  Save your assembly.  Then bring a part in and save it again.  Save once more to check that the save list is empty.   Now mate the part to something.  Press save.  It will list all the parts that need saving, which means that the mate has caused them to be rebuilt.  I often get parts listed that have no relationship to what is being mated.  My VAR has seen it and had no idea why some parts are being rebuilt.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 7 of 44 (434 Views)

10-22-2012 05:43 AM in reply to: eleblanc

Sub assemblies are the solution to your problem. (As JD mentioned earlier)

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

eleblanc
Message 8 of 44 (431 Views)

10-22-2012 05:53 AM in reply to: eleblanc

So what you are saying is that we should keep maximum number of part in a assembly under 40-50?

I have sub-assemblies. I've done much larger assemblies in past version and it was faster.

My question is what consist of "executing constraint"? other then moving the part visualy where it should go?

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 9 of 44 (426 Views)

10-22-2012 05:56 AM in reply to: eleblanc

I rarely go over a dozen unique parts (not instances) in one assembly, but I have other reasons for that. I get excellent assembly performance.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Valued Mentor
stevec781
Message 10 of 44 (411 Views)

10-22-2012 10:14 AM in reply to: eleblanc

I use sub assemblies which typically have 1 or 2 parts and a few frame generator members, its the only way I can separate frames so I use sub assem a lot.   My less than 500 part models have very little adaptiveity, use lots of skeletal techniques, are painfully slow, and have been checked by my VAR's best trainer who found nothing wrong and no way of improving speed. Like I said it's so bad I am willing to go through the pain of switching to something else.  I didnt think it was that bad until I tried the other programs on the same machine.  Inv are way behind in speed.  For example on 1 part (not assem just a part on its own), Inv takes 14 seconds to update after a dimension change, Creo takes 1 sec.  Inventor is way more user friendly but just too slow.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube