Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slotting a cap screw

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
wmd2
533 Views, 5 Replies

slotting a cap screw

Mr Mather,

Experiencing some difficulty slotting the cap screw shown. The problem is this: an additional sketch is created using a rectangle .313 * .094 centered .2815 * .047 from the center of the screwhead. The sketch gets finished the extrusion is created but does not show up. The extrusion is not visible even though a new sketch was created.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wmd2
in reply to: wmd2

Here is the drawing with the extrusion. However, when the screw is rotated from the isometric view to a front view the extrusion is no longer visible. What needs to be corrected?

Message 3 of 6
luiww

You need to close the profile as the centreline is not recognised as part of the profile.  Attached is the closed profile for the screw body.

Message 4 of 6
wmd2
in reply to: luiww

Ok I see what you did. However, the caphead is supposed to be round on the top. So, how is that design feature accomodated with the slotting?

Message 5 of 6
SBix26

Have you had any training?  Worked through any tutorials?

You have produced two disconnected surfaces and then extruded a third one through those two, producing a third surface.  I think that you want a single solid, correct?

I don't have 2012 installed at home, so I can't produce a model for you.  But you want to fix your first sketch first- it's not fully constrained (constrain it to the origin point), and the center line is actually two lines which are construction type.  Change it to one normal (non-construction) centerline type line.  With a centerline-type line, dimensions to other features are taken as diameters rather than radii.

Now your second sketch needs to be incorporated into the first one-- I don't see any benefit to making it a separate feature.  When you revolve that sketch you should get a solid model rather than a surface model.

Now for the slot-- again, the profile needs to be closed, and it should cut the slot exactly as you wish.

JD Mather has a very good basic skills white paper available.  I don't have the link saved at home, but a quick browse through his responses to various problems should turn up the link.

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

Start a new part file.

Create the sketch shown below.  One sketch!

Attach the file here.

You might also read this documnent.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Sketch1.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report