Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

showing removal clearance lines?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CADDapult
787 Views, 6 Replies

showing removal clearance lines?

When creating a piping part, like a strainer, I'd like to be able to show something to represent the area that needs to be kept clear to allow for removal of the filter cartridge.  In AutoCAD I'd just draw a phantom circle and a few lines extending from it to show the needed room.  Does anyone have a suggestion of a way to indicate the area in an Inventor part that won't obscure parts of the main object or other objects that may be located behind?  Transparent solids, or maybe sketch entities?  It's primarily needed for design, but if it can show up in the 2D drawing (without totally blocking what's behind it) it would be a plus.

See the attached file for an example of what we've been doing in our AutoCAD models.

Mike

More of a curmudgeon by the hour
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: CADDapult

You could model a part for the desired clearance and change it to Reference in the BOM.

Reference components have the following characteristics:

They are ignored in the BOM.

They are excluded from the mass calculations.

They are not numbered, and are not directly included in quantity calculations.

Child components of the reference component are ignored in the BOM.

They are shown with a hidden line style in drawing views.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
CADDapult

If I understand correctly we would make the equipment item one part and the clearance envelope another part, inserted into the assembly seperately?  While it sounds like it would work it means keeping a library of clearance models along side of the equipment models. I'd bet our designers would "forget" to insert the clearances 95% of the time, and insert them in the wrong spot 3% of the time. 

The option I'm hoping for is to have everything contained in the part model so the guys can't mess it up or be lazy not show them.   Would sketches in the part model to show handle swings and clearances be viable?  Is there a down side to doing it that way?

Sorry for being such an Inventor noob. After 25 years of using AutoCAD I'm trying to get us rolling with Inventor.  It's like being a group of professional guitar players who've been given pianos and are expected to play at the same skill level in a few weeks.  There's a lot to learn (and un-learn).

Mike

Message 4 of 7

Hi CADDapult,

I think you can sketch a circle and extrude it as a surface (rather than a solid) in your part model, and use this for your needs. Surfaces will not show in the drawing views by default but can be turned on, and you can turn their visibility off in the part model as needed also.

I often use surfaces such as this as "helper" geometry to make constraining part models quicker.

Some related tips:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-get-imported-parts-and-surfaces.html

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/02/round-peg-in-square-hole-autodesk.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Pipe clearance Surface.png

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

@CADDapult wrote:

In AutoCAD I'd just draw a phantom circle and a few lines Mike

You could do the same thing in Inventor - but I think I would use the surface body suggestion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
blair
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Good idea, I am used to using power tools that I have modeled to check for proper clearances for assembly.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7

Curtis, I think extruding surfaces will be our best bet. 

Thanks to all for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated!

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report