Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revert to old assembly-inv2011

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Myles1
255 Views, 5 Replies

revert to old assembly-inv2011

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to save an assembly as a new file, in a new location, and not have it update when the individual parts are modified?  I need to be able to track the revision history of an assembly, and be able to revert to an assembly, as it was, at any time.  I tried pack and go, but the sub-assemblies remained parametric, and reflected the current state.  I would like to have file a1.iam, file a2.iam and file a3.iam, all using the same part or sub assy files, and not have them change when I create file a4.iam.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
harco
in reply to: Myles1

If you have a chosen assembly where it's constituent parts and sub-assemblies will not be modified, but the position or arrangement of those parts and subs may change in the chosen assembly then save a copy of the chosen assembly will hold those positions or arrangements.

If you modify any part or sub-assembly in the chosen assembly you will need a copy of each modified part or sub assembly to keep the status.

Pack and go would work as long as the copied parts and assemblies are moved to another project.

If you copied the parts and assemblies to a separate folder in the same project and kept the same file names then Inventor will pick up the first file with the correct filename and would not dig down to the copied folder.

You could use the copy tool in Inventor to create a new assembly and parts with different names to eliminate this problem.

Design assistant will also perform this function.

Vault too, will copy design.

A few ways to skin a cat.

Message 3 of 6
rhasell
in reply to: harco

If you are using 2013, you can use the "Tools, iLogic Design Copy" tool. You can then add a Prefix/Suffix to each file for example.

It works well except for iParts.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 4 of 6
stevec781
in reply to: Myles1

Copy the files into a new directory (named Rev A, B etc) and create a new project for each new revision pointing to the new directory.

Message 5 of 6
rhasell
in reply to: rhasell

I feel like a tosser, written in big letters is, you guessed it, INV 2011....

Need I say more.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rhasell

Don't worry Reg, it was a temporary glitch with the Internet that caused the problem ... Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report