Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rectangular pattern

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
arrush80
1236 Views, 26 Replies

rectangular pattern

Good morning,

I am trying to find a way to make a hole pattern along a curve, but the problem is my pattern is not a curve but rather a path along a precise angled path. Inventor does not seem to want to acknoledge this as a path aside for the first segment. Any suggestions would be appricaited.

Capture.JPG

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: arrush80

Good Evening to you too 😃

Ok so first of all, Create a sketch that would represent your curve. Then start your rectangular pattern (Feature) command. Select your hole and for direction 1 select the sketched curve. Then select a new position for your direction 1 in the more options and change the orientation to direction 1

Please see the attachment explaining everything

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 27
arrush80
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

So I am hoping to use something other then a curve to describe this pattern, the zigzag line you see going up vertically in my picture is what I am trying to use as the curve, with a hole being created at each intersection.

Message 4 of 27
JDMather

@arrush80 wrote:
...my pattern is not a curve ...

In mathematics (and in Inventor) that is a curve.
If you have trouble following the instructions for a curve driven (Feature) pattern - there is more informaion here.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

The fastest way to demonstrate the solution would be for you at attach your *.ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 27
arrush80
in reply to: JDMather

Attachment is in the original post.

Message 6 of 27
JDMather

@arrush80 wrote:

Attachment is in the original post.

Oops, I only saw the picture and didn't realize there was also a file attachment. Back in a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 27
JoAnn_Hogan

Something like this??

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 8 of 27
arrush80

OK, that is exactly it! Thank you. So here is a follow up, why does it only work when you select any segment other then the first?(which is what I was doing?)

Message 9 of 27
JDMather

First thing I noticed is that your Sketch1 is placed at the origin, but not constrained to the origin.

Then I tried the curve driven pattern and found that it was not selecting the entire curve.

so

I then tried to Extrude your curve as surface body as a test.  Again, the entire curve not selected.

This tells me there is something wrong with the way you created your curve.

Run Sketch Doctor, or recreate it from scratch.

Curve Selection.png

EESignature

Message 10 of 27
JoAnn_Hogan

Your sketch was not fully constraint (ALWAYS have your sketches fully contraint) and to fix that segment I placed a very small fillet on it. Have a look at this one. But get your sketch path fully constraint and it would work 😃

Jo - Ann
Message 11 of 27
JDMather

My guess is that something like this is what you are really really after.

EESignature

Message 12 of 27
JoAnn_Hogan

Thats the same as my part with just a higher count?

Jo - Ann
Message 13 of 27
JDMather

Not exactly.

Go back and check your Start Point.

You have followed the curve minus the starting line.

EESignature

Message 14 of 27
JoAnn_Hogan

Check the second part I posted...

Jo - Ann
Message 15 of 27
JDMather

@JoAnn_Hogan wrote:

Check the second part I posted...

Ah, you are too fast, I only saw the first one that was Accepted as the solution.

I was working on my own solution while you were posting the correct solution.

EESignature

Message 16 of 27
JoAnn_Hogan

HAHAHAHA What can I say? 

Jo - Ann
Message 17 of 27
JDMather

@JoAnn_Hogan wrote:

HAHAHAHA What can I say? 

Any interest in moving to the states and teaching?

We currently have a full time faculty position open.

EESignature

Message 18 of 27
arrush80

So having that out of the way how would you recommend to pattern this hole feature? I need to keep the holes on the top most surface only, and need to be able to adjust each row (number of holes in the row) in case some other feature is present (I extruded a representation of a part in this case a seal plate that might need to be present). Obviously I am trying to use as few patterns as possible so this is as easy to adjust (for hole spacing, angle and dia) in the future as possible.

Top surface is highlighted. 

Capture.JPG

Message 19 of 27
JoAnn_Hogan

One of my students tried exactly the same thing this week and it actually makes the part very heavy and made the PC  crash. I am still trying to figure out how to help him without having making the part heavy

Jo - Ann
Message 20 of 27
arrush80

I just tried to individually pattern each row off the initial curved pattern, but it seems a Pattern Occurence is not a valid Feature for a pattern?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report