Inventor General Discussion

Reply
*Bystry, Mark A.
Message 1 of 12 (126 Views)

rebuild all...

126 Views, 11 Replies
11-05-2002 08:40 PM
what is the "theory" behind rebuild all on a part file? i've read the help
file. what affect does this have on a base modeled part. for example, on a
couple of my models, the ones that we never change, we did not have time to
remodel them in inventor. so we translated the parts over from mdt6 as base
features (dumb solid). at the time, i did not really care if i had the model
features translated. besides, many of the features failed to translate
anyway. these parts have always been a little slow-loading...assy's and
drawings. i performed a rebuild all on one of the parts. it took like 5
minutes to complete. once finished, i opened the associated drawing and it
loaded up pretty quickly...i think. i compared that to a similar part that
was just saved as a version 6 file w/o rebuilding anything. that drawing
seems to load much slower. am i imagining things here, is it a coincidence,
or does the rebuild all feature help with performance?

--
Mark A. Bystry
Engineer
Ziggity Systems, Inc.
mbystry@ziggity.com
*Bilton, John
Message 2 of 12 (126 Views)

Re: rebuild all...

11-05-2002 08:57 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
In a word, YES. What happens is Inventor re-calculates everything using the latest ShapeManager
algorithms, so if you wish to see the performance enhancements that the kernal can give you, you
have to rebuild all.


John Bilton
--
"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Distinguished Contributor
jmartzig
Posts: 609
Registered: ‎12-01-2003
Message 3 of 12 (126 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 09:12 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
then how is the rebuild all, different from the migration utility? i thought the migration utility did just what you said the rebuild all did.
*Dotson, Sean
Message 4 of 12 (126 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 09:20 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
If you check total rebuild it does REBUILD
ALL but you don't HAVE to check that.  I would recommend it
however..


--
Sean Dotson, PE

href="http://www.sdotson.com">http://www.sdotson.com

remove all #s from
email
-----------------------------------------


style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
then
how is the rebuild all, different from the migration utility? i thought the
migration utility did just what you said the rebuild all
did.
*Bilton, John
Message 5 of 12 (126 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 09:23 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
Fourth attempt (OE is even unstable on this machine).

You can use rebuild all to "Audit" parts that you have not modelled yourself to check for any
instabilities and ensure they are up to date kernal wise.

John Bilton
(No sig line it's broken)
*Crain, Ron
Message 6 of 12 (126 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 11:02 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
Unless I missed it, we haven't been informed that there was a ShapeManager
update between 5.3 and 6.0. Thus, a rebuild-all shouldn't be necessary if
you're migrating between those two releases.

"John Bilton" wrote in message
news:582A5E5C7BB30226F004E68F7AB45B1E@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> In a word, YES. What happens is Inventor re-calculates everything using
the latest ShapeManager
> algorithms, so if you wish to see the performance enhancements that the
kernal can give you, you
> have to rebuild all.
*Dotson, Sean
Message 7 of 12 (126 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 11:15 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
...but it couldn't hurt. I've had models get "sketchy" and a rebuild all
seemed to make them more stable...

--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
remove all #s from email
-----------------------------------------
"Ron Crain" wrote in message
news:C2630D3A268974D5C8751804D1E887DB@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Unless I missed it, we haven't been informed that there was a ShapeManager
> update between 5.3 and 6.0. Thus, a rebuild-all shouldn't be necessary if
> you're migrating between those two releases.
>
> "John Bilton" wrote in message
> news:582A5E5C7BB30226F004E68F7AB45B1E@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > In a word, YES. What happens is Inventor re-calculates everything using
> the latest ShapeManager
> > algorithms, so if you wish to see the performance enhancements that the
> kernal can give you, you
> > have to rebuild all.
>
>
>
*Boswell, Mark
Message 8 of 12 (126 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 11:15 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
Yep...I aggree...solved a very funny problem when saving an assembly for me.


Dont know why it worked but it did,

Mark



"Sean Dotson" wrote in message
news:E6CF7E7ECB3EBD9E6B0F22FB3C3EC061@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> ...but it couldn't hurt. I've had models get "sketchy" and a rebuild all
> seemed to make them more stable...
>
> --
> Sean Dotson, PE
> http://www.sdotson.com
> remove all #s from email
> -----------------------------------------
> "Ron Crain" wrote in message
> news:C2630D3A268974D5C8751804D1E887DB@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Unless I missed it, we haven't been informed that there was a
ShapeManager
> > update between 5.3 and 6.0. Thus, a rebuild-all shouldn't be necessary
if
> > you're migrating between those two releases.
> >
> > "John Bilton" wrote in message
> > news:582A5E5C7BB30226F004E68F7AB45B1E@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > In a word, YES. What happens is Inventor re-calculates everything
using
> > the latest ShapeManager
> > > algorithms, so if you wish to see the performance enhancements that
the
> > kernal can give you, you
> > > have to rebuild all.
> >
> >
> >
>
>
*Berry, Patrick
Message 9 of 12 (126 Views)

Re: rebuild all...

11-05-2002 11:58 PM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
I had recently completed an extremely complicated .ipt of a die-cast part.
Normally I hit "rebuild all" frequently during modeling, but I was under a
deadline and just forged ahead even though the part was starting to behave
rather flakily. Big mistake. A few weeks later when trying to make a few
simple sketch edits, I noticed that referenced edges kept losing their
references. I hit rebuild all, waited about 10 minutes and about 90% of the
features in the tree lit up with yellow exclamations. It seems that a flat
plate feature at the beginning of the part lost it's definition. I had no
warning of this till I hit "rebuild all". If I'd have been using it
regularly I may have saved myself the chore of manually repairing each
damaged feature. Inventor doesn't seem to be very fond of complex parts.
"Rebuild all" is the only thing that keeps it sane.

Patrick Berry

ps I'm still using 5.3 so it wasn't a migration issue.

"Mark A. Bystry" wrote in message
news:B0A9DDEC891C09F334E88BB6967BE91B@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> what is the "theory" behind rebuild all on a part file? i've read the help
> file. what affect does this have on a base modeled part. for example, on a
> couple of my models, the ones that we never change, we did not have time
to
> remodel them in inventor. so we translated the parts over from mdt6 as
base
> features (dumb solid). at the time, i did not really care if i had the
model
> features translated. besides, many of the features failed to translate
> anyway. these parts have always been a little slow-loading...assy's and
> drawings. i performed a rebuild all on one of the parts. it took like 5
> minutes to complete. once finished, i opened the associated drawing and it
> loaded up pretty quickly...i think. i compared that to a similar part that
> was just saved as a version 6 file w/o rebuilding anything. that drawing
> seems to load much slower. am i imagining things here, is it a
coincidence,
> or does the rebuild all feature help with performance?
>
> --
> Mark A. Bystry
> Engineer
> Ziggity Systems, Inc.
> mbystry@ziggity.com
>
>
*Crain, Ron
Message 10 of 12 (126 Views)

Re:

11-06-2002 12:09 AM in reply to: *Bystry, Mark A.
"Patrick Berry" wrote in message
news:01146A62FBB00CEC2A26EECFEAD1E3D0@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> If I'd have been using it
> regularly I may have saved myself the chore of manually repairing each
> damaged feature. Inventor doesn't seem to be very fond of complex parts.
> "Rebuild all" is the only thing that keeps it sane.

Not necessarily. I have many experiences of complex injection molded parts
which will blow up every time after a rebuild-all. This is after fixing all
the problems each and every time. The same sketches get sick - same
issues - again and again. Many times my goal is to get a stable design
complete and then quickly STEP it out so I can pass it off to the tool
makers.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube