Inventor General Discussion

mikereff
Message 1 of 8 (588 Views)
Accepted Solution

"Select other" function is not working or turned off

588 Views, 7 Replies
04-09-2012 03:29 PM

I can't get the select other function to work.  When doing a measurement, if I right click on an item, then click "select other", nothing happens.  This also is the case when applying constraints. In application options, the select other timer is set to 2.0 sec., it is not set to off.

Distinguished Contributor
PaulB108
Message 2 of 8 (573 Views)

Re: "Select other" function is not working or turned off

04-09-2012 10:29 PM in reply to: mikereff

That has bugged me for some time as well. Do not see the point in having the option if it is "dead". I come across it all the time with 2 wall sheets beside one another (common line). 

I always get told to turn visibility of one off then do what you need to - then turn visibility back on. Grrr.

This sounds like it needs to go straight to trumpy81's thread below...

Regards.

Inventor Professional 2014.
Windows 7 64 bit.
Mentor
trumpy81
Message 3 of 8 (571 Views)

04-09-2012 11:15 PM in reply to: PaulB108

I don't know for sure, but are you guys waiting for 2 seconds WITHOUT moving the mouse?

Any mouse movement while waiting will cancel the request for it to show up.

Try setting the 'select other delay (sec)' to 1 sec and see if it appears.

What versions are you using guys?

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
mikereff
Message 4 of 8 (557 Views)

04-10-2012 06:19 AM in reply to: mikereff

Yes, obviously I've waited the 2 seconds. That doesn't matter though, because when you right click and select "select other", the menu should pop up immediately.

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 5 of 8 (548 Views)

04-10-2012 08:26 AM in reply to: mikereff

What Inventor version are u using?  Does it do this on every part or just some?  If you are in the measure command and right click on an edge, then pick select other, you should get a left and right arrow and a center button. You dont have to pick the arrows to move through the selections, you can use your mouse wheel and the different edges, faces or points will highlight as you go thru them.

In pre-2013, you dont really get a menu when you "select other". 2013 has a select other menu that drops down and you pick what you want (edge, face, vertex... etc).

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 6 of 8 (543 Views)

04-10-2012 08:42 AM in reply to: karthur1

I have noticed on occasion that the new select other tool will not be displayed no matter what you do.. Simply closing the file and even restarting Inventor will/should make it work again (it has everytime its happened to me..roughly 10 times).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Pro
sbixler
Message 7 of 8 (513 Views)

04-11-2012 03:37 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

I have also experienced this, and closing/reopening Inventor takes care of it.  When this happens I also have no right-click menu/marking menu.

jis.augustin
Message 8 of 8 (391 Views)

11-11-2012 10:06 PM in reply to: mikereff

A bit strange......

I had inventor on my second screen and issues with select other function. As soon as inventor changed back onto main screen and it is sorted.

regards

Jis Augustin

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube