Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fixed" placed components with one constraint

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
nickhowe
9261 Views, 12 Replies

"Fixed" placed components with one constraint

Why can I not constrain placed objects with three constraints? Anything I place constrains with one constraint then is virtually fixed (without being) and cannot even be moved to allow for further constraining.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
nickhowe
in reply to: nickhowe

....in addition, this only applies to one assembly alone. Is this a setting for this assembly or is it cpossibly corrupted?

Message 3 of 13
mcgyvr

any grounded parts?

any imported parts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 13
stephengibson76

does it move if you put another constraint on it, sometimes you cant drag components.  Also try view, degrees of freedom

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 5 of 13
nickhowe
in reply to: mcgyvr

No grounded parts or imprts just a placed assembly that "grounds" on the first constraint.

Since then I have found that i can still add constraints. I can't physically move it after the first constraint but can move it via the addition of other constraints!

Thanks for the help, think i'll just file this under weird!

Message 6 of 13
nickhowe

Thanks Stephen

It looks that way! No reasons for why it doesn't move manually?

Cheers

Nick

Message 7 of 13
mrattray

I've had that happen to me before. It's like certain parts/assemblies piss Inventor off. Usually I find sick mates or featues in the problem component. I find that using the move command instead of just dragging works fine.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 13
benemt

I am having this same problem with a certain assembly.  It has many parts that have already been fully or partially constrained.  Everything that has at least one constraint on it appears fixed even if it had been "movable" earlier.  I can't post the file as it is proprietary but wanted to check and see if this was ever truly solved.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: benemt

Are there sick mates anywhere in the assembly? Are there any sick features on the parts in question? Are any of the parts in interference with each other?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 13
benemt
in reply to: mrattray

No, no, and no it seems.  The parts move normally if they have no constraints but as soon as you add one constraint (even if its to a part that previously had no constraints as well), the parts are "fixed."  I can still add more constraints and get it to align somewhere else that way though. 

I have "Updated" the whole assembly and tried "Rebuild All" and still have the same problem.  This is the first time this is happening with this assembly as I have been working with it for about a week.  I don't know what has changed.

Using Inventor 2012.

Message 11 of 13
benemt

I figured it out, kind of.  I made a copy of the assembly and then methodically deleted components until the proper behavior was restored.  I was able to determine that a single part was causing the issue and when I deleted it, it went back to normal.  I then went through all of that components constraints and found that two of the "inserts" were specifically causing the problem even though they were not showing errors and appeared compliant.

When I examine the parts these were constrained to, I see how things could possible be slightly off in these two constraints based upon different mates (as the parts are related both directly and indirectly through constriants).  It's just strange that the constraints were still built "correctly" and appeared to work but were actually having problems.

-Marked as Solution-

Message 12 of 13
lkrenzler

I'm definately having this same issue.  It really is hard to track down where the problem is.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor Pro 2019 - Win. 10 - GeForce GTX 1080 .
Message 13 of 13
allenliuyy
in reply to: lkrenzler

Today is Friday, March 24, 2017, I got this problem a few times in a assembly in this week. I am using Inventor Pro 2017. I have this problem now. So I am trying to find solution from the forum.

I made this problem go away by restarting Inventor last time, but it happened again today in a different assembly. I do not want to restart Inventor from time to time. what is the reason for this problem. 

Help please.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report