Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"ERROR: Method not supported for transient meta" Offset command

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
AceRimmer
3517 Views, 16 Replies

"ERROR: Method not supported for transient meta" Offset command

Yet another 5yr old problem that has yet to be fixed.

You should delete posts that pertain to bugs that you can't or won't fix. It gives me too much ammo to rip on you.

Software maintenance. What a joke! Pay for bug fixes? You never should have shipped it in this condition.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: AceRimmer

I've never seen this error in any version. You must have a special situation. So, you are still on 5 year old software?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 17

I too ran across this.  We are using Inventor 2011 with latest SP. 

I was editing the properties of an imported Autocad drawing and using it as a titleblock.  Several properties of lines were changed and some iproperties were set up, and then I did some edits to a revision table format, so I don't know at what point everything "broke".

Now when I right click on this titleblock and select "edit definition" I get the mentioned error.

Anybody know how to fix this?  It took quite a while to set this all up and I am not looking forward to just deleting and starting over.

Message 4 of 17

OK, I found the other post that says to close Inventor and restart it.  That worked.  I can now get in and edit the titleblock.

Message 5 of 17
asbuiltjmh1

I am new to Inventor not to Acad. I was studying and practicing w/ an example from the book Inventor 2011.

I was following this procedure:

1. In the Sketch tab’s Modify panel, click the Offset tool.

2. Before selecting any geometry, right-click anywhere that is not on the sketch geometry.

3. Ensure that the Loop Select and Constrain Offset options are both selected.

4. Click the polygon, and drag to the outside.

At this point when I select the polygon to drag the offset I get the following error message:

Error: Method not supported for transient meta!

Can anyone provide constructive advice as to the cause of this and a solution?

Thanks

Message 6 of 17

Hi,

I have tried to reproduce this issue in my Inventor 2011 but I am not seeing the same behavior as you have reported, see my attached avi. Do I miss something to reproduce your problem ?

I have Inventor 2011 SP1 and SP2 installed, you can get them from http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15506670&linkID=9242019 and http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16976209&linkID=9242019 for a try.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 7 of 17
Spacebeagle

Thanks for your quick response!

About 8 minutes after I posted the question I tried closing and reopening the file and the problem was gone?

What does that mean exactly?

Any way I tried re-creating the same steps and could not make it happen again so I'm good!

Thanks Kevin!

and  thanks for the AVI !

spacebeagle

Message 8 of 17
howardlee306
in reply to: Spacebeagle

There are probably a vast amount of errors in this program. It is impossible for someone to get all of them (even though I try very hard). It also would be impossible for the program to create random and made up errors. I know very little about programing, but I do know that you need to program those error messages to react to things and tell them what to say. Why can't someone at autodesk open the source code, hit ctrl+f and type "Method not supported for transient meta" and see why it was typed into the source code and what causes it, then reply to this thread and tell this guy what he's doing wrong?

Message 9 of 17
kieranprince

I just had the exact same thing happen to me on Inventor 2013. I can't belive that this problem is a year old, much less EIGHT yeas old.... It's an odd Error.... Take the title: "Serious error" They couldn't even bother to capitalise the error. Also, the main message doesn't even have a period. That, and the Window it pops up in is programmed incorrectly. It has top priority on any window. I've repeated this error in 2 different ways now, three times each. This is a persistant problem. All the oddities of this message make me think that it might have been intended for the programmer. It's unusually sloppy. Which might be because it's from 8 years ago, but... This is just sad. Not sure what I'm supposed to do. I can't offset these lines..... *Frustrated*Inventor Error

Message 10 of 17
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: kieranprince

in the first instance as mentioned above, just restart inventor.

i had the error once, after installing 2014, and never had it again.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 11 of 17
jwkokkelink

I have had this Error (Serious Error) pop up consistently when making a 2D sketch and offsetting any part of the sketch. What seems to help is to close inventor and restart it. It is frustrating to not be able to find this message in the inventor help, I had to google it.

JWK
Message 12 of 17
ben
Participant

I got this error also. I'm using Inventor Professional 2014 SP2, Build 246 on a mutli-core system. It occurs while trying to offset a radius line in a 2d sketch. I'll be starting a ticket seeing as I'm able to repeat it consistently. This isn't the first time it's happened. Cant wait to see what excuse they have this time. It's nice to see that it's been an issue for so many years under so many different circumstances yet it still exists. Apparently it's not high on their list of things to fix, or they don't have a clue how. Yet another loss of productivity... Maybe it will be fixed in 2016! Nah.

Serious error.PNG

Ben
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor has come a long way since R5 🙂
Tags (1)
Message 13 of 17
ben
Participant
in reply to: ben

After doing a bit of digging around, it would appear that this has in fact been fixed in 2015! We'll be upgrading in the near future so I can't wait to see if it really has been!

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/error-method-not-supported-for-transient-m...

Ben
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 14 of 17
ben
Participant

Just got this error in Inventor 2016. Apparently it WASN'T fixed in 2015...

Ben
Message 15 of 17
kevin
in reply to: ben

I'm using inventor 2020 and having the same problem described above using offset command in sketch mode. It won't clear or reverse, so restart is necessary., 3dr time now.

Message 16 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: kevin

@kevin 

Attach file here that exhibits this behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 17 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: kevin

@kevin 

Where did you go?

Did you figure this out?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report