Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cut Normal" bug? Inventor 2015 Pro

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
chrisw01a
1972 Views, 39 Replies

"Cut Normal" bug? Inventor 2015 Pro

So I thought this would be great since we do alot of this type of cut through cylindrical sheet metal parts...

It works great on flat pieces, but on an angled "rolled" part, it really messes up.  Am I missing something?

Move the end of part up past "Cut1" and the cut appears, but also, it takes material off the back of the part!

Capture.JPG

Tags (4)
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
chrisw01a
in reply to: chrisw01a

It REALLY gets screwy if you pattern the cut.

Part1.jpg

Message 3 of 40
wilkhui

Hi Chris,

Wow...sorry that you're going through this! Thanks for letting us know about it; I think there may be more than one issue here so please bear with me while I get my head around them.

Cheers,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 40
jletcher
in reply to: wilkhui

Wow now Autodesk is removing my post. I posted a work around last night with more bugs included and you removed all my post how nice....

Message 5 of 40
JDMather
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

.... you removed all my post how nice....

I saw behavior (by YOU) that YOU agreed not to engage in.

I wondered how long it would take Autodesk to hold you to previous agreements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 40
jletcher
in reply to: JDMather

There was nothing in the post that would had broken any rules. Beta testing is over nothing in the agreement about talking after the lift..

Well if they are going to remove them no reason to post anymore....

Message 7 of 40
ChrisMitchell01

James,

This is the info that you (& everyone one else involved in Beta) was provided by email during the closing stages of the Inventor Beta:

"You are officially released from your non-disclosure agreement March 27th 2014 at 9:00am EST in regards to public commenting.

However, as always, please bear in mind that, under the terms of your Beta site agreement, you have agreed to not discuss private conversations and decisions made in the confidential beta.

March 27 9:AM EST

- The Press embargo ends – you are free to discuss Inventor 2015 features in public after this time.

Note: As always, please bear in mind that, under the terms of your Beta site agreement, you have agreed to keep the details of the Beta program, operation of the Beta program, private discussions, future feature discussion, and conversations during Beta, and bug report communications confidential.

If you want to follow up on issues reported during Beta, then you should do it in the beta forums; you were emailed about the next round of Beta testing just this week so still have that avenue. In general, to be safe, just don't discuss Beta stuff, publically.

You did indeed report a somewhat related issue during beta, but in your usual style you resorted to rhetoric & sarcasm when you didn't get the immediate response you expected. Consequently those discussions did not really go much further, which is a shame as it could perhaps have avoided the issue being reported here, which Indy replied to & will try to help with.

Perhaps this could serve as a "lesson", (for want of a better word), to show that the style you generally resort to on this forum, does nothing other than turn people off from what you have to say. I've seen others mention it here, & I know that you don't do yourself any real favors with many of the Inventor team.....that's really a shame as you do know what you're talking about technically & have a vast wealth of Inventor knowledge & experience that you can share.

Please take this as constructive feedback, so that this Inventor forum remains a bit more positive & let's leave this thread for sheet metal related discussions as originally intended.

You had your "private audience" a while ago, but if you have something else to follow up on, then please give me a direct call.”

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 40
karthur1

Indy,

I created a simple revolve and tried to "Cut Normal" and it failed also.

2014-04-25_1207.png

Kirk

Message 9 of 40
wilkhui

Hi Chris W,

We're investigating both the issues (for your reference I've logged DID 1517299) and in the meantime I have a workaround which is close to the Cut Normal result.

It involves making a cut (without ticking 'Cut Normal'), projecting each side of cut edges to a plane and joining them with straight lines using tangent constraints, using this whole sketch to cut through the sheet metal and finally refolding the part. It sounds long-winded but have a look at the part I've attached and see if you find it useful.

Looking forward to hearing back,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 40
wilkhui
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

Good to hear from you - I think the failure on the full revolution is because the part can't be unfolded, but I'll verify that and get back to you.

Cheers,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 40
karthur1

Indy,

You are correct with the part I posted.  If I change the revolve to 359°, then it works "As Advertised".

Hope all is well with you.

Later,

Kirk 

Message 12 of 40
jletcher
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Then the post about the beta should have been removed not all the work around post I did because nothing in that post said anything about the beta.

And yes I get frustrated and my words could be different but I have been dealing with bugs from day one and you all don't fix them. Work needs to be done people don't have time to find work around for bugs that have been in Inventor for a very long time.

And I did not follow up because he was telling me it was not an issue and I was wrong guess what it is an issue... It start off nice till then. Why have me test beta if you just going to tell me I am wrong?

It is easy to stay calm when it is not your money going down the drain and hear all the complaints about bugs.....

Clients have deadlines and when they run into the same bug that was in Inventor 4 who pays for that not Autodesk....

And you could have emailed me and not post this here...

Message 13 of 40
jletcher

Only works with one hole try to pattern the hole and you will see more issues. I had posted it but Autodesk removed it..

When you pattern look at the last hole as you play with the angle it looks like it is trying to do a double last hole and fail.s it is fine with an angle of less then 180° hole count 6..

Message 14 of 40
karthur1

I tried the pattern after I changed the revolve to 359° and it appears to work.

Kirk

Message 15 of 40
jletcher

11.JPG

12.JPG

Make it so the hole goes in the slit see if you have same issue. Also the pattern was in both directions. (not sure about your part)

I will take a look at your part when I get back to the office don't have new laptop for 2015 yet..

Message 16 of 40
Discussion_Admin

@Anonymous wrote:

Then the post about the beta should have been removed not all the work around post I did because nothing in that post said anything about the beta.

Apologies for the work around removal. It got caught in the beta thread when removed due to the way the reply was made. Best practice is to reply to the post being answered and not the last post in the thread. I was about to return it but I see you have reposted it.

You can always mail moderator@autodesk.com for answers as to why a post was removed or edited should there be questions.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 17 of 40
jletcher
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

No worries today will be my last postings....

Message 18 of 40
Discussion_Admin

Sad to hear that. Your feedback and help contributions to users are more than welcomed in the community.

We do hope you will reconsider.

Discussion_Admin

Message 19 of 40
karthur1

2014-04-25_1413.png

That sort of looks like the display issue that I have been seeing where Inventor throws in some weird triangles in the view.

When I edited my part and changed the array to be both directions and pass thru the split, it still works.  I can't make it fail with my simple model, but mayb I'm just not pushing the right buttons.

2014-04-25_1435.png

Message 20 of 40
jletcher

Did you do the normal cut through the slit then pattern or that is the pattern hole?  because I don't see the starting hole.

I will look at yours to see what you may have done different when I get back to office trying to fix another issue for a client that had some views in the IDW go bye bye.. ...

Yeah I know what you mean by display but only on some of the patterns I test it came up so still is an issue they need to look at they have my part they just removed it from here..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report