Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Certain parts of the model are extremely thin....

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
andy_reynolds
1589 Views, 6 Replies

"Certain parts of the model are extremely thin....

I have never seen this before, any ideas as to how I can find where the thin areas might be?

File attached....

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

no responses?

Ok, so if I chop the middle in half it will mesh with no warnings... and that is for both of the two possible halves. However as a whole it will not take it. I have run this program on much larger assemblies and yet this is the first time I have seen this occur.

If anybody has seen this before and knows anything about it, please raise your hand. Regards - andy

Message 3 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: andy_reynolds

Look at the overall part.

As a ratio - some portions are dramatically thinner than other features.

If you have long skinny features ......

I think somewhere in the Help it refers to limitations of relatively small displacements (it is easy to have large displacments on thin parts with very little force) and limitations with thin parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
henderh

Hi Andy,

We appreciate you posting the part as well as an image.  The entire body is considered thin as the warning message states.

In addition to JD's helpful suggestions, I'd like to share these:

Since R2010, Stress Anaysis can analyze assemblies as well as parts, it would be best to mesh the model as an assembly instead of one imported body.  This way, each part / body can be meshed individually.  Even if the mesh succeeds as one complex body, as the first warning states it could lead to questionable results since R2012 uses solid elements exclusively.  We introduced Shell elements in R2013 for handling 'thin geometry' models such as this.

Trying to mesh a complex body with many faces such as this is going to be a challenge for the mesher, much like trying to model / manufacture this in one part would be.

If you don't have access to the assembly, you can try splitting away half the model, and adding a frictionless constraint to the 'cut faces' to reduce the computations by roughly one half.  Be aware that this will only work if the load directions are also 'symmetric'

I hope this helps!  Please let us know if you have additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Best regards, -Hugh

(ps: I noticed the part was last saved in R2012_SP1.  We've released SP2 and SP2 Update1).

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 5 of 7
andy_reynolds
in reply to: henderh

Nope, still not working. It does not mesh as a part or as an assembly. However you can see that I have brought and meshed larger assemblies in the past in to the program. For some reason this new one is presenting a major issue. a software upgrade is out of the question so I need a fix for this quickly.

Chopping the assembly in half quite clearly will not suffice, so I need to know what is the optimum method for exporting from solidworks into inventor is as I feel that this might be the cause of the issue...

Message 6 of 7

The workaround is as follows:

1. create parts in solidworks
2. defeature as much as possible
3. go into inventor and open up as a solidworks assembly
4. start the simulation take the standard settings
5. run automatic contacts first
6. then add a mesh, take the standard option, if it meshes then play around reducing the size

do not load anything as a .step file or suchlike or on a day that ends with y or any other way...

good luck.

p.s.
My thoughts go out to the people who have to use this program on a daily basis.

Not only because of the issue of bugs and the inherent flaws contained within the software but mainly because the reseller I labour under is so poor at giving any help. I know I will provoke the wrath of the believers but if you are UK based and want to make actual money buy Solidworks just for the ease of use and the support. Seriously.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

@andy_reynolds wrote:

My thoughts go out to the people who have to use this program on a daily basis.

Seriously.

We are all a bunch of un-educated idiots.  Seriously!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report