Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"As Application Surface Color" Feature Appearance in Drawing Problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BL4849
1410 Views, 4 Replies

"As Application Surface Color" Feature Appearance in Drawing Problem

In Inventor 2009-2012 I could create Part models that had extrusions that are "surface" and not "solid".  Then I would change the Feature Appearance of this ExtrusionSurface "As Application Surface Color" from the properties menu.

Now these features would appear on any assembly I created with these parts in it.  The reason to use this is to have the ability to create areas for parts that would help in the assembly e.g. places in a part where wiring is required therefore no other object can be placed in that area.

This is only useful for the assembly creation and in a drawing containing the assembly these surface extrusions are invisible, which is what I want.  This was a very quick and easy way of achieving this.

Now the problem is since 2013 I am unable to do this.  Even opening and updating some older drawings created from 2010 or 2012 have some parts of the assemblies have these surfaces now visible in the drawings. It does not seem to be consistent so I figure this is a bug?

I have tried a work around but this is extremely time consuming. This involves creating a "No Application Surface Color Visible" Representation and "Edit" each part to make the surface extrusions not visible.

See attached bmp.

The 2 bottom items are parts created with my method and as you can see the Surface extrusions are now visible in 2013.  The top assembly has the work around to hide the unwanted extrusions in some of the parts in the assembly.

The question. Is the method above the "correct" way and the visual problems in the drawings are a bug in 2013 or is my method wrong?

Thanks if you can clarify this.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
LT.Rusty
in reply to: BL4849

I'd love to find an answer to this one too. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
EScales

Have you tried going to the browser in the drawing and right-clicking on the assembly and un-checking "Include All Surfaces"?  That should turn off the visiblity of all the surfaces in that view at once.

Message 4 of 5
BL4849

That worked Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
BL4849
in reply to: EScales

Additioanl problem.  When you have sub assemblies the "Include All Surface" option is greyed out, even on the sub assembblies.

Is there a solution to this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report