Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quadro K2000M

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
kprom
5068 Views, 28 Replies

quadro K2000M

We are looking at ordering a Dell Precision Laptop for running Inventor 2013.  The M4700 which we would likely get with a SSD primary drive and a HDD for the work directory.  My concern is the graphics card.  Currently we run Geforce GTX 560 cards since Inventor runs on Direct X now.  They work well but ocassionally we see a little slow down on large assemblies when rotating. (not sure if it's graphics related or CPU)  The fastest card available in this model is a K2000m.  I haven't found a lot of info out there on this.  Does anyone know how this would compare to the GTX 560?

We work in large assemblies.(~800 parts) Currently we have desktop workstations with Xeon Quad cores and 12 GB RAM, about 3 years old.  This laptop would be used with a dock and a 20" monitor, possibly a second as well.

thanks

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
GARRYFRASER8394
in reply to: kprom

Yeah, if you've not used it you won't miss it, I'd been using it for a few years on previous PC so was frustrating 🙂

Message 22 of 29
DesignerNinja

I'm running a similar setup but with the Dell 6600.  The hottest graphics card that was available was the nVidia 4000M.  It's been a good card and I don't have any complaints.  I do fairly large - 200 to 1000 part assemblies and they are complex.  My system runs fairly well.

That being said, if the 5000M was available when we bought this laptop, I would have gotten it.  From my experience, Your going to need all the horsepower you can get.  I would not recommend the 2000M for large assemblies.  Especially if you are going to optimize as best you can with SSD drives.

Go for Dell 6600.  It will pay for itself in time saved - no doubt.

Good Luck

BOXX 4920 XTREME
Intel Six Core i7-4960X OC'd to 4.5GHz / Water-Cooled
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
NVIDIA K6000 Quadro Graphics Card
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit
"BEAST MODE"
Message 23 of 29
SBix26
in reply to: GARRYFRASER8394

I, too, had never tried the Quality setting (never had the hardware to do it with before).  I now have a K4000M, and I notice something unusual.  If I move the model and stop, it anti-aliases as expected.  But if I then move the mouse, the anti-aliasing goes away (leaving jagged edges), and does not come back until I move the model very slightly (just bump the 3D controller a little bit).  Again, it looks great, but only as long as I leave the mouse perfectly still-- as soon as I move that cursor the least little bit in the graphics area it goes back to jaggy.

I have no idea whether that's a Windows (Direct3D) thing, an Inventor thing, a NVIDIA thing, or even a 3Dconnexion thing (unlikely).  But odd, certainly.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 24 of 29
hans.martin.haga

I have the M4700 with K2000M, 32 GB and 512 GB SSD. Impressive performance, although I use it mainly for running virtual machines with Inventor and Vaultserver.

One word of warning: The M4700 has two graphics adapters/GPUs, an embedded Intel HD 4000 adapters and the Nvidia. The Nvidia core is enabled by the Nvidia Software, and you have to be sure that the Nvidia software recognizes the installed software - otherwise you risk running benchmarks (and other software) using the HD 4000 adapter!

I found it best to disable the HD 4000 adapter (by disabling Optimus Technology in Bios), as I found that the general display quality degraded when using the HD 4000 adapter (less contrast) for desktop applications. I also suspect that Inventor in some cases ran on the HD 4000 adapter, as it would run terribly slow at times.

Message 25 of 29
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: SBix26

I'm not seeing that behavior here.

nVidia® EVGA® GeForce® GTX 580 Classified 3072MB GDDR5

Driver 314.07

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 26 of 29

the problem only occurs on the newer K series cards that came out last summer,

From what I've been told it's a Nvidia driver problem which they don't seem in a hurry to fix 🙂

Message 27 of 29
kprom
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

I, too, had never tried the Quality setting (never had the hardware to do it with before).  I now have a K4000M, and I notice something unusual.  If I move the model and stop, it anti-aliases as expected.  But if I then move the mouse, the anti-aliasing goes away (leaving jagged edges), and does not come back until I move the model very slightly (just bump the 3D controller a little bit).  Again, it looks great, but only as long as I leave the mouse perfectly still-- as soon as I move that cursor the least little bit in the graphics area it goes back to jaggy.

I have no idea whether that's a Windows (Direct3D) thing, an Inventor thing, a NVIDIA thing, or even a 3Dconnexion thing (unlikely).  But odd, certainly.

Sam B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think of the K4000M, how is the performance?  Have you run something like GPU-Z to see how much of the card you are using?  

thanks,

-Keith

Message 28 of 29

I see said the blind man who could not speak.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 29 of 29
SBix26

Haven't done anything with GPU benchmarking.  I just observe that I can open up the biggest assembly that we've ever made in Inventor (473 files, 856 occurrences), and spin it as fast as my SpaceExplorer can make it go without (apparently) blanking any parts... on a 2560 x 1920 screen.

Sam B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report