Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with lofting rails-inv 2011

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Myles1
201 Views, 3 Replies

problem with lofting rails-inv 2011

I have a fairly basic shim that I need to make, and I have my two sections set up (magenta in attached file), and 4 rails.  There seems to be a problem with one rail (orange in attached)  I have redrawn this sketch many times, many different ways, and is just won't work.  I can pick all other rails, but not that one.  I need all four rails to properly define this part.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Myles1

Sketch1 is not constrained and I would never use magenta (or pink) as that is how Inventor highlights "sick" geometry.

Sketch2 is not constrained and I would never use magenta (or pink) as that is how Inventor highlights "sick" geometry.

Sketch4 is not constrained and shows a really "strange" dimension when the arc is dimensioned.

Sketch5 shows a really "strange" unmanufacturable dimension when the arc is dimensioned.

Sketch6 missing Tangent constraint and arc dimension doesn't match Sketch4.

Sketch11  missing Tangent constraint and arc dimension doesn't match Sketch5.
Sketch11 is not connected to Sketch1.

You might want to reaed this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Myles1

Thanks, I'll take a look at the sketches.  There is a slight taper to this part that you may have missed.  That is why loft is being used.  (BTW the colors were only changed just for the purpose of making it easy to explain.)  It isn't something we generally do!

Message 4 of 4
JDMather

@Myles1 wrote:

There is a slight taper to this part that you may have missed. 

Yes, I missed that originally and went back and edited my response.

I also noticed that if you use geometry constraints the only the line or the arc need be dimensioned - so pick the one that is the controlling factor (for manufacture and assembly).

I modeled it up from scratch - but I'm using a later release.

I am curious to see your true (dimensioned) design intent.

Also, are you aware that one of those faces won't be planar?

Lofted Shim.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report