Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

point alignment

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
signmeup
1544 Views, 2 Replies

point alignment

Point alignment
When selected, infers alignment between endpoints of newly created geometry and points of existing geometry. Temporary dotted lines are shown to indicate the inferred alignment

If not selected, inferred alignment relative to specific points can be temporarily invoked by passing the cursor over the points while in the sketch command.

Is it possible to reduce the sensitivity of the point alignment snap? It can make drawing lines close to existing points very difficult. I know it can be deselected in application options, but the temporary invocation can still catch you out, and I actually quite like it being 'always on' otherwise. I think CTRL temporarily disables it but it also disables constraint creation which I want to keep.

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Loren_J
in reply to: signmeup

I have a workaround that doesn't specifically solve your issue, but it seems to make my life better. I turn the Locate Tolerance down to 2 (Application Options>General Tab). It is the number of pixels you can be away from geometry and still select it. With that and judicious use of the Ctrl key, you can improve sketching behavior in tight places.

If I am working with something complex, I usually press Ctrl, rough in the geometry, and add the constraints I want later. Of course, it is good to keep your sketches as simple as possible (7-10 entities seems to be a popular number).

LorenJ

LorenJ

Inventor 2011 Pro
Win7 64 SP1
Xeon W3550 @3.07 GHz
ATI FirePro V5700, 8.773.0.0
12 GB RAM
Message 3 of 3
signmeup
in reply to: signmeup

Thanks, I'll try that. We can only hope that one day Autodesk will make the sketching environment a pleasure to be in!

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report