Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

part in sheet metal

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sam__gleeson
484 Views, 6 Replies

part in sheet metal

Part attached is made from solid modelling.How can this part be made as a sheet metal part.....i`m not familiar yet with sheet metal....wanting to learn

Sam

INV 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: sam__gleeson

Here you go.  Using Contour Flange is much quicker than doing it the conventional way.  But I notice in your model that the two bottom flanges are thicker than the rest of the model (3 instead of 2).  If that's really what you need, you can't do it in sheet metal (and I also wonder how it would be fabricated).

Message 3 of 7
sam__gleeson
in reply to: SBix26

Hello Sam

Thanks alot.

Sam

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Thanks alot.

But his solution is incorrect for a sheet metal part.

Flat Pattern.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
sam__gleeson

OK JD...can you post your file then and i can then compare/see the differences

Thanks

Sam

Message 6 of 7
SBix26

JD's right, that my part is not correct-- but how you correct it depends on the design constraints.  If the edges that currently show as beveled in my part (and yours) are in contact with something else, then it matters whether the inside or outside edge is the correct dimension.  On the other hand, if the cutouts are just giving something else a wide clearance, then it's pretty easy to correct.  In any case, JD has done it properly for one of those cases, so maybe he'll post it.  Otherwise, tell us what the beveled edges' function is and I'll try to make it work for you.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

As indicated by Sam B the design intent for that corner where the angle crosses a bend is very important.

In the end you want a Flat Pattern where all of the edges are perpendicular to the flat.  This is easiest to check in wireframe shade mode.

Examine the attached file carefully in the bent angle corner for one possible solution.

Corner.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report