Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

only one constrain disables moving of the part instance within an assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ckuester
608 Views, 5 Replies

only one constrain disables moving of the part instance within an assembly

Hello,

sometimes when using constraints the "movable" part is fixed after adding the first constraint.

If i use i.e. a surface to surface constraint the movable part should be free to slide on the surface.

To move the part in this case  I have to add further constraint or delete the old one.

Furthermore sometimes constraints in assemblys do not update automatically. I have to click on the part and try to move it away. After releasing the part the consraint will be updated.

Are there any options to control or better change this behavior?

I am using Inventor 2013+Vault 2013.

Greetings

Christian

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ckuester

Is the doctor in? Is the indicated icon red?

Doctor.PNG

Message 3 of 6
ckuester

Yes the cross is red. But the trouble indicated is not directly connected to the constraint parts.

Message 4 of 6

@ckuester wrote:

Yes the cross is red. But the trouble indicated is not directly connected to the constraint parts.

Hi ckuester,

Often errors (even those present in parts and sketches) prevent the solver from solving correctly at the assembly level. Take some time to clean up the errors in the assembly and then open each part and click the Rebuild All button, to find errors at that level, and once you've done this, you'll likely have solved the issue.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Trust me, fix the problems indicated and your constraints will work normally again. It is having problems resolving either sketch or feature issues which indirectly and in some cases directly affect constraints. If it is having problems figuring out where this feature face is, then it can't really solve the constraint because it is still trying to solve the feature location. Only by trying to "drag" the part, does it force inventor to ignore the others and fix the part being draged.

Have had this happen before and when I fixed lower level errors, the constraints began working properly. This is why my seemingly unrelated question about the doctor icon, because in reality it is all related.

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! It sounds like the assembly is in fail solve state. Could you either post the example here or send it to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to take a look and see where the problem is and how to fix the failed constraint.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report