Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

now inventor is running out of memory.. help?

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
RoyRR
2404 Views, 32 Replies

now inventor is running out of memory.. help?

Hi so through past few days this program its been a nightmare (trying to screen capture is beyond difficult with this program)... now when i play with the shadows and light sources the program either crashes or 'runs out of memory' and asks to close other programs.. thing is the exe uses 1.5gig and I have 16... i have seen it at 2.2 gig last night and today asked for more memory at 1.3gig... program is beyond glitchy, features/objects disappear when they not suppose to and lightning changes after i hit apply and not when i scroll the scrollers in the 'shadow setting menu' it used to work ok yesterday 😕
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

RoyRR... Everyone is trying to help you as best as they can.. No need getting snippy.. That will make us stop trying to help you. You haven't done a good job of reading everyones complete posts and answering all of their questions either.. 

How do you know "inventor is running out of memory"? are you getting an error message (and what is it exactly.)

What is your screen resolution set to?

Is that the native resolution for your monitor?

But again the problems you are having are highly unusual and machine specific and as such you should follow all the previous suggestions of completely uninstalling Inventor.. (100% removal)

And I'd 100% remove all traces of Nvidia programs/drivers.. 

Like I said in your other post I (and many others) had NO problems with AA in Inventor 2012.. AA problems went away in like 2010 or maybe earlier.. Its been great and 100% acceptable in the last 4 releases or more. 

But there is something wrong with your computer.. And I'd suspect Inventor might be the most "powerful/complex/taxing" software you have on there so it will expose problems that other "less powerful...business software" won't. 

You might have your IT department run a memory test (like memtest).. You could have some bad sticks of ram or similar problems.. It happens.. I had a bunch of "wierd" problems 2 years ago and it turned out I had a bad stick of ram.. Replacing it stopped any/all problems I was having.. 

Screenshots are easily handled with the built in snippit tool.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 22 of 33
RoyRR
in reply to: mcgyvr

well some were useful and I will try to reset the profiles like suggested, but there is no way i'm doing a format... yes it gives me an error saying it need more memory (read the OP its in there!) 1400p resolution and native is ... 1440p.. there is no IT department in my house, and the hardware is 100% working- how do i know that? because only inventor is having issues... if you also read some of my comments you will find out that I am PS (photo shopping) the glitches out, because at the end of the day its easier than fixing this program it seems... so I am quite familiar with 'screen capture technology' the screen capture is not an issue, its just getting inventor to provide some decent quality view in order for me to do the screen capture... if you guys need i can provide a flow chart explaining this better
Message 23 of 33
blair
in reply to: RoyRR

I never count on the quality within the work environment to screen capture for any downstream art-work. I will transfer to the Studio environment and render out the image I need (since you can set the DPI) for the output or transfer the file/assembly to Showcase and render out there as well. I only use the Exchange App and capture in the work environment for quick dirty pictures.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 24 of 33
RoyRR

As far as I know cross sections are not being rendered so that cuts 3/4 of the images i need... I have looked it up and that is how inventor works which is disappointing to say the least, also in order to render them I would need to adjust shadows and lights which this post is talking about crashes related to that...
Message 25 of 33
mcgyvr

@RoyRR wrote:
well some were useful and I will try to reset the profiles like suggested, but there is no way i'm doing a format... yes it gives me an error saying it need more memory (read the OP its in there!) 1400p resolution and native is ... 1440p.. there is no IT department in my house, and the hardware is 100% working- how do i know that? because only inventor is having issues... if you also read some of my comments you will find out that I am PS (photo shopping) the glitches out, because at the end of the day its easier than fixing this program it seems... so I am quite familiar with 'screen capture technology' the screen capture is not an issue, its just getting inventor to provide some decent quality view in order for me to do the screen capture... if you guys need i can provide a flow chart explaining this better

When I had bad ram I ONLY had problems with Inventor.. Again is a taxing/complex piece of software. It requires your computer to do much more work than any other program you have. Just because your other software does not exhibit a problem does NOT mean you don't have hardware issues.. 

1400p or 1440p is NOT a suitable answer for resolution.. Its 2 numbers. And if you aren't using the native monitor resolution you WILL have graphics issues. For example my resolution is 1920 x 1080 as that is the native resolution of my monitor. 

and your "OP" does NOT state the specific error you are having.. "runs out of memory" is NOT a specific error message. But again.. run memtest.. It really sounds like you have RAM problems.. 

and we don't need a flow chart.. But ask that you please take a bit more time to attempt to provide useful detailed information. 

You don't need to 100% reformat your computer.. But after you run a memtest and if it yields no problems then you should really uninstall and reinstall Inventor at the very least.. 

again your problems are NOT normal and should NOT be happening unless you have something wrong with your computer.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 26 of 33
blair

Not directly, create a new View Rep and then do a Assembly Feature Cut. This will allow you to use it in Studio and well as use it in the IDW (by selecting the View-Rep) upon view creation.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 27 of 33
RoyRR
in reply to: mcgyvr

are you kidding me? do you know what you even talking about? 1920 x 1080 is 1080p, and 1440p is the shortened name for a 2,560 x 1,440 resolution at a 16:9 aspect ratio.. this is the FIRST google result, so if you do not know a term google it before making any type of comments................................... "When I had bad ram I ONLY had problems with Inventor.. Again is a taxing/complex piece of software. It requires your computer to do much more work than any other program you have."........................................................ really? I don't even have words for this... one of my java programs uses more resources than inventor while parsing... not mentioning various multimedia programs, benchmarks or even games...... from OP:"now when i play with the shadows and light sources the program either crashes or 'runs out of memory' and asks to close other programs"... how more specific do you want me to get? i really hope you are trolling me because the ignorance level is through the roof
Message 28 of 33
RoyRR

that work around is very time consuming if you have multiple pieces that should not participate in the sectioning and the texture of the cross section will not be displayed on the faces automatically... if i have 40 figures to cut each at different angles this is beyond viable approach.. and again this DO NOT solve my problem with shadows crashing inventor due to insufficient ram because i still need to adjust that...
Message 29 of 33
blair

I would strongly suggest then a un-install, system re-boot and re-install of Inventor using the required prerequisites posted by ADSK. Use the Un-install tool supplied by ADSK, it will be in the ADSK>Inventor folder.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 30 of 33
blair

The only reason that I suggested this method, was from you post of using the Section Views, you only have a choice of All Parts or not, which excludes CC parts. The Assembly Feature Cut does allow you to control the depth and shape of cut across your model where as the Section View from the View Panel in Inventor only gives you a three choices.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 31 of 33
mcgyvr

@RoyRR wrote:
are you kidding me? do you know what you even talking about? 1920 x 1080 is 1080p, and 1440p is the shortened name for a 2,560 x 1,440 resolution at a 16:9 aspect ratio.. this is the FIRST google result, so if you do not know a term google it before making any type of comments................................... "When I had bad ram I ONLY had problems with Inventor.. Again is a taxing/complex piece of software. It requires your computer to do much more work than any other program you have."........................................................ really? I don't even have words for this... one of my java programs uses more resources than inventor while parsing... not mentioning various multimedia programs, benchmarks or even games...... from OP:"now when i play with the shadows and light sources the program either crashes or 'runs out of memory' and asks to close other programs"... how more specific do you want me to get? i really hope you are trolling me because the ignorance level is through the roof

I was simply asking for both numbers since you said your resolution is 1400p and native is 1440p.. 1400 != 1440

But good luck.. hope you figure it all out.. 

Message 32 of 33
marshallw

Try a little program called SnagIt by Techsmith to capture your screenshots.
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor Certified Instructor
Message 33 of 33
marshallw

SnagIt by Techsmith works great for screen captures of any kind. Lets you annotate resulting images and save in many different image formats.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor Certified Instructor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report