Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with F.G

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
tborland
779 Views, 13 Replies

need help with F.G

Can the Ball part be added between the 50mm Round Rails from the photo of a staircase usingthe F.G?

I know how to add the posts but not the Ball section..there is a ball at every intersection including the end posts

Is it best to split the sketch so as to make editing of the rails easier between the upright posts/balls?

regards

TB

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

I don't think you can do that with FG members.

FYI, we created separate files fo each bought staunchion type. As we don't manufacture them they are just an inserted part from a library. With a bit of effort they probably could be made into an iPart.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 14
tborland
in reply to: tborland

Thank you

I guess if the Ball feature is not available i could still use the F.G.....would have been good to create this in the F.G though

Could it be made using solid modelling tools and then assembled in an assembly file

Brst Regards

Tony

Message 4 of 14
JavaLodge

You can certainly make the frame using the frame generator, you'll just have to add the ball part separately. Once the frame is done, you can treat it just like any other component in an assembly.

Thanks

I can create the frame in the F.G that is no problem.

How do you recommend i add the Balls to the Frame....do i place the Frame created in the F.G into another assembly and then create the Balls or is there other ways?

How do i then Notch the Frame and Balls so there is no interference?

Any other thoughts appreciated

Tony

Message 6 of 14
JavaLodge

The frame you generated is itself an assembly.  You can either add components directly to that assembly or use the frame as a subassembly and place it into another assembly.  It's your choice, depending on how you want to organize your files.  

As for the ball, I'm not entirely sure how the frame is constructed.  You could make the ball part like I have it modelled here.  You could even link parameters from the frame's sketch to the ball to have it automatically update the angles and such.

"How do you recommend i add the Balls to the Frame....do i place the Frame created in the F.G into another assembly and then create the Balls or is there other ways?

How do i then Notch the Frame and Balls so there is no interference?"

As I understand, you are creating handrail models and usually the stanchions meets the industry standard (ie. ball size, rail sizes, rail spacing and stanchion's height).

Brendan Henderson's suggestion is right - make stanchions as separate parts as your libray items.

And create the ball as the way it is fabricated and finally you can set the weight of the stanchion in the part file.

We have done this - works perfect from project to project.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 8 of 14
tborland

Thanks a lot

If possible would you have an example...have not done before

Thanks for all help

Tony

Message 9 of 14
BeKirra

Sorry I can't give you the model we use as the company's policy.

However, I upload a sketch model and hopefully it can give you some ideas.

BTW, it is a R2014 model.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 10 of 14
tborland
in reply to: BeKirra

Thank you

Just to clarify do you then just place these in an assembly file?

Can the frame still be made using F.G and then you insert these stanchions into the assembly?

or

do you create the frame with F.G and then insert the F.G model as a sub-assembly and then insert the stanchions

or  

do you create an assembly file and insert the stanchions and separate handrails (.ipt ) without using F.G

Thanks for your help

Message 11 of 14
BeKirra

For handrail models we usually don't use FG.

And yes we insert the stanchions and handrails in an iam file - we normally don't involve large scale handrail models.

HTH.

X² + Y² = C²
Message 12 of 14
tborland

Thank you

Message 13 of 14
jdavis417

Just a thought... that's quite a bit like a Tube & Pipe assembly, isn't it?

Message 14 of 14
tborland

Thanks

What is your thoughts on if i create the frame (to hold both steps and stanchions) using the F.G and then insert the Frame created by F.G into another assembly and add the stanchions to this assembly.Could i also then add rails between the stanchions using F.G

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report