Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
jpblower
Message 1 of 1 (162 Views)

need advice for naming/file conventions for i assy with sub iassy.

162 Views, 0 Replies
10-23-2012 11:03 AM

I want to have a large assy with a baseline and finished model.  Historically we've done this w/ LOD but it's more appropriate to use iassy but I'm wondering does anyone have advice on naming conventions and file locations. 

Imagine a tall building where we have a current floor plan for floors 1, 2, and 6.  We want to have a new floorplan for each of them.  Moving chairs and desks are easy but what are some ways of having a unique name for the walls and windows?  We don't have autodesk vault so we can't save as a rev A/B. 

Is it better to have make the entire building an iassy with several sub iassy's or is it more practical to keep the building by itself and switch the subassy from one to another. 

We also need to deliver the finished model meaning we may need to rename several items which I've found is extremely hairy when dealing w/ iparts so I'm really worried about problems with name changing in an iassy. 

I realize that every situation is different but I would greatly appreciate if people could give some examples and lessons learned before I get deep into it and find I should have done things another way or just not bothered. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube