Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multi-bodies versus assembly of parts

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
James__S
1774 Views, 6 Replies

multi-bodies versus assembly of parts

Hi

I have a pressure gauge i want to model.I could make the parts separately and assemble or make as a single part but with multi-bodies.The gauge will only have the visible parts modelled (not the internal mechanism).....There is 6 parts.....is there any advantage with one over the other......the gauge will go into a larger assembly to show its position in the process...

Thanks for any advise

James

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
admaiora
in reply to: James__S

Every strategy have pro and cons.

Your assembly have a verry little amount of parts, only 6. In this case you can go fast in any case.

With multibody you will not use constraint, you will have a good flexibility and high level of editing and mostly you will have in any moment geometry parts references to take profit by, without the risk of adaptive parts.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
PaulMunford

If you only want your BOM to show one item, you can consider a multibody.

Don't forget that multibodies only have one material selection, so you may not get the correct weight or centre of gravity either.

Six bodies in a single file isn't many, it shouldn't be too hard to model.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 7
BarryZA
in reply to: admaiora

Have a look at the option to "push" out the multi-body solid into derived individual parts and an assembly. "Make Component" or the button next to it off the top of my head.

Personally I really like multi-bodies, just a pity no sheet metal. I find them faster for design work and cabinet making. But for draughting I usually use the bottom-up approch.

Message 5 of 7
PaulMunford
in reply to: BarryZA

Hi Barry,

That's a really intriguing statement. Would you mind expanding on your technique a little? 

Could you give us an example of a 'Drafting' project?

Paul

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 6 of 7
BarryZA
in reply to: PaulMunford

Sure thing, but forgive my grammar at the moment. I came back from 10 weeks of contract work in West Africa with Malaria Cat Mad

2.jpg

Here is my award-winning table 🙂 modelled up as 5 solids and with the solids renamed to my preferance. I have selected "make component" and selected which (all) of my solids from the browser that I need. By default the "insert components in target assembly" is ticked.

3.jpg

Next screen, my solids names have been copied across and I am going to leave them as such.

4.jpg

And there we have it! My super-stylish table as an assembly with each solid spat out as a new .ipt. The only thing it dosen't have is constraints, everything gets grounded and rooted. All the .ipt's are derived, so I am sure any edits to the original multi-body file will filter through.

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Inventor's multi-solid body worklfow can be considered an extension to skeletal modeling workflow. Basically, you create geometry within a part. Then use Make Components or Make Part command to push each solid body as an individual part in an assembly.

If you do not care about material variation, BOM table, reusing component definition and you only care about geometry, modeling an assembly in a multi-solid part and keeping it as is could be very convenient.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report