Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modelling a cabriole leg - rotate3D

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1247 Views, 16 Replies

modelling a cabriole leg - rotate3D

Trying to do the tutorial to modle a cabriole leg:
http://www.ashlar.com/tutorial/cabriole_legs/cabriole_leg_tutorial.pdf

In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the xy plane, turn it into a region, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an Intersection.

With Inventor, I haven't figured out how to do this rotate3D. The Help section wasn't much help.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, forgot about the EXTRUDE

In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the xy plane, turn it into a region, EXTRUDE, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an Intersection.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

thambi wrote: > Sorry, forgot about the EXTRUDE > > In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the xy plane, turn it into a region, EXTRUDE, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an Intersection. It really helps to do the Inventor tutorials first to get the basic idea of the workflow. In Inventor you just do a sketch on one plane (XZ), then copy it to another (YZ). No need for rotating. Then Extrude the first sketch, then the other with Intersect.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Carbon,

I have gone thro' the tutorials in the Help section, but is a bit slow in getting myself acclimatised. I tried doing this, opened a new ipt file, expanded the "origin" in the browser window to show the xy, xz and yz plane, clicked on the "look at" icon, clicked on the LINE tool to start a sketch, then clicked in the drawing window to draw the outline, but for some reason clicking on the drawing window produced no response and am now left wondering where I went wrong.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

"expanded the "origin" in the browser window to show the xy, xz and yz plane, SELECTED THE XZ PLANE, clicked on the "look at" icon, clicked on the LINE tool to start a sketch,"

The moment I clicked on the xz plane, the UCS icon rotate to show the red and blue arrow (XZ plane) but the grid pattern disappeared and I am unable to do any sketching even thought the 2D sketch panel shows all the sketch tools. Sigh.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

You sketch on the workplane that is selected. If you want a different one, exit the active sketch first, select the new plane and then SKETCH. -- Rui "thambi" wrote in message news:14298888.1097404356351.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > "expanded the "origin" in the browser window to show the xy, xz and yz plane, SELECTED THE XZ PLANE, clicked on the "look at" icon, clicked on the LINE tool to start a sketch," > > The moment I clicked on the xz plane, the UCS icon rotate to show the red and blue arrow (XZ plane) but the grid pattern disappeared and I am unable to do any sketching even thought the 2D sketch panel shows all the sketch tools. Sigh.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Reply From: Rui Vaz
"You sketch on the workplane that is selected."

That's the whole trouble, I can't sketch on the selected workplane!!

These are the steps I took with the effects in [ ] bracket:

File/New/Standard.ipt
[UCS red(x) and green(y) visible, grid visible]
Origin/XZ Plane
Look at.....
[UCS red(x) and blue(z) visible, grid no longer visible and I can't sketch]
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

You have to actually select the SKETCH command on the selected workplane. This should present you with grid etc. and allow you to sketch. When through select RETURN. This will exit you out of the sketch manager and allow you to access the modeling module. "thambi" wrote in message news:22987023.1097411305998.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Reply From: Rui Vaz > "You sketch on the workplane that is selected." > > That's the whole trouble, I can't sketch on the selected workplane!! > > These are the steps I took with the effects in [ ] bracket: > > File/New/Standard.ipt > [UCS red(x) and green(y) visible, grid visible] > Origin/XZ Plane > Look at..... > [UCS red(x) and blue(z) visible, grid no longer visible and I can't sketch]
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Are you in Sketch mode (Sketch toolbutton) or feature creation mode (Return toolbutton)? Default when you start a new part file is to be in sketch mode, but there's an option to change that. Aren't there some tutorials in the Getting Started manual (can't remember)? There's a FAQ posted to the NG periodically. It has some links to tutorials. Haven't looked at JD Mather's site in a long time, but he teaches Inventor basics and might have some of the basic getting started stuff (search the NG for his name if it's not listed on the FAQ).
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

When you start a new part, normally (unless you've changed something) you go into sketch mode, so you're already in a sketch. If I were you, I'd take it from there and wouldn't worry if I was on the XY, XZ or whatever plane. When you get more experienced, you'll learn how to configure that. As Jimmy said, after selecting a plane, you have to enter sketch mode in order to "draw". If you can, get some formal training to get started with. Follow steps in tutorial exactly as they say. If they don't tell you to expand the browser, don't until you've completed the steps and start to explore for yourself, but step-by-steps usually have it all and let you get started without much confusion. When you can't complete something, post it here and (even on a Sunday) you'll find someone to give you a push. -- Rui "thambi" wrote in message news:22987023.1097411305998.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Reply From: Rui Vaz > "You sketch on the workplane that is selected." > > That's the whole trouble, I can't sketch on the selected workplane!! > > These are the steps I took with the effects in [ ] bracket: > > File/New/Standard.ipt > [UCS red(x) and green(y) visible, grid visible] > Origin/XZ Plane > Look at..... > [UCS red(x) and blue(z) visible, grid no longer visible and I can't sketch]
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Best advice is probably forget AutoCAD ... it's not applicapable. To sketch on a workplane: Pick the WP (one of the origin planes in the browser or any WP you may have created). Don't worry about how the sketch is orientated, just do it . RMB (right mouse button)/New sketch. If you don't like the orientation: RMB/pick the ISO view thingy. Turn on all the origin planes/user planes and see which plane you want to use. Turn off all the ones you don't want. Go back to the sketch and RMB/Redefine. That will put the sketch on the new plane. If you want to be on the other side of the plane, RMB on the plane and Flip it. If you want to rotate the sketch itself, highlight it (all the lines) with the Rotate button active and enter the angle to rotate. This is a long way to go about it but it covers a lot of how planes and sketches relate. You can figure out the short-ways of doing it as you go along. Inventor is not AutoCAD ... forget AutoCAD. Think what new and exciting ways have they given me to handle this stuff and do the tutorials. You'll love it. ~Larry "thambi" wrote in message news:26030965.1097371926153.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Trying to do the tutorial to modle a cabriole leg: > http://www.ashlar.com/tutorial/cabriole_legs/cabriole_leg_tutorial.pdf > > In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the > xy plane, turn it into a region, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a > copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an > Intersection. > > With Inventor, I haven't figured out how to do this rotate3D. The Help > section wasn't much help.
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

thambi, After a few weeks of playing - sorry, familiarising yourself and gaining experience - with Inv you'll wonder why Acad doesn't allow you to throw down lines and arcs etc. anyway you like and then constraining & dimensioning them into their exact position. It's very hard to let go of Acad to start with, but after a while Inv will get hold of you. Happy Inventing Duncan @home -- "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message news:4169493d_2@newsprd01... > Best advice is probably forget AutoCAD ... it's not applicapable. > To sketch on a workplane: > Pick the WP (one of the origin planes in the browser or any WP you may have > created). Don't worry about how the sketch is orientated, just do it . > RMB (right mouse button)/New sketch. > If you don't like the orientation: > RMB/pick the ISO view thingy. > Turn on all the origin planes/user planes and see which plane you want to > use. > Turn off all the ones you don't want. > Go back to the sketch and RMB/Redefine. > That will put the sketch on the new plane. > If you want to be on the other side of the plane, RMB on the plane and Flip > it. > If you want to rotate the sketch itself, highlight it (all the lines) with > the Rotate button active and enter the angle to rotate. > This is a long way to go about it but it covers a lot of how planes and > sketches relate. You can figure out the short-ways of doing it as you go > along. > Inventor is not AutoCAD ... forget AutoCAD. Think what new and exciting ways > have they given me to handle this stuff and do the tutorials. You'll love > it. > ~Larry > > "thambi" wrote in message > news:26030965.1097371926153.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Trying to do the tutorial to modle a cabriole leg: > > http://www.ashlar.com/tutorial/cabriole_legs/cabriole_leg_tutorial.pdf > > > > In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the > > xy plane, turn it into a region, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a > > copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an > > Intersection. > > > > With Inventor, I haven't figured out how to do this rotate3D. The Help > > section wasn't much help. > >
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

HTH In Inventor is you don't have UCS commands to rotate the sketch plane nor do you have ROTATE3D as a command. You have to use the Edit Coordinate System to make sure the plane is rotated correctly BEFORE you paste the sketch. It helps in this case to go to Tools -> Application Options -> Sketch tab and turn on the Coordinate System Indicator. Otherwise it wants to come in sideways. Least it did for me. The exercise lasted me roughly 7 minutes. Attachment not added (too many attachments): "Cabriole Leg2.jpg"
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

Jeff Howard: "Are you in Sketch mode (Sketch toolbutton) or feature creation mode (Return toolbutton)?"

I believe it's sketch mode as the sketch tools are visible in the panel bar - but the grid is not visible!
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Like I and others have said. Don't select a new plane when starting a new part: you're already in sketch mode on the default plane. Start sketching. -- Rui "thambi" wrote in message news:16948595.1097448004287.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Jeff Howard: "Are you in Sketch mode (Sketch toolbutton) or feature creation mode (Return toolbutton)?" > > I believe it's sketch mode as the sketch tools are visible in the panel bar - but the grid is not visible!
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

thambi wrote: > Jeff Howard: "Are you in Sketch mode (Sketch toolbutton) or feature creation mode (Return toolbutton)?" > > I believe it's sketch mode as the sketch tools are visible in the panel bar - but the grid is not visible! If the Sketch is active, it's also highlighted in the browser panel. If it is highlighted and you still don't see a grid, then you may have to use "Look at" tool to select the sketch - then the sketch view is changed parallel to the screen. Really suggest that you try the Inventor tutorials. There, every move is detailed and if you follow the instructions exactly, then you can't go wrong. I myself had no "real" cad experience (only 3dstudio) prior to these exercises and after a couple days it felt like I've always been using Inventor.
Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

John-IV8SP1 wrote:" The exercise lasted me roughly 7 minutes."

Hi John,

I did it in AutoCAD. Took me less than 7 minutes. However can't go beyond extruding 1 part in Inventor - don't know how to copy and rotate the other part. Can you be a bit more specific on how you did it in Inventor?

Thanks

Thambi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report