Contributor
thambi
Message 1 of 17 (298 Views)

modelling a cabriole leg - rotate3D

298 Views, 16 Replies
10-09-2004 06:31 PM
Trying to do the tutorial to modle a cabriole leg:
http://www.ashlar.com/tutorial/cabriole_legs/cabriole_leg_tutorial.pdf

In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the xy plane, turn it into a region, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an Intersection.

With Inventor, I haven't figured out how to do this rotate3D. The Help section wasn't much help.
Contributor
thambi
Message 2 of 17 (298 Views)

Re: modelling a cabriole leg - rotate3D

10-09-2004 06:33 PM in reply to: thambi
Sorry, forgot about the EXTRUDE

In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the xy plane, turn it into a region, EXTRUDE, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an Intersection.
*Carbon
Message 3 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 02:40 AM in reply to: thambi
thambi wrote: > Sorry, forgot about the EXTRUDE > > In AutoCAD I may approach this problem this way. Draw the outline on the xy plane, turn it into a region, EXTRUDE, rotate3D into a vertical position, make a copy, then rotate (about the z-axis) the copy 90 degrees, then do an Intersection. It really helps to do the Inventor tutorials first to get the basic idea of the workflow. In Inventor you just do a sketch on one plane (XZ), then copy it to another (YZ). No need for rotating. Then Extrude the first sketch, then the other with Intersect.
Contributor
thambi
Message 4 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 03:25 AM in reply to: thambi
Hi Carbon,

I have gone thro' the tutorials in the Help section, but is a bit slow in getting myself acclimatised. I tried doing this, opened a new ipt file, expanded the "origin" in the browser window to show the xy, xz and yz plane, clicked on the "look at" icon, clicked on the LINE tool to start a sketch, then clicked in the drawing window to draw the outline, but for some reason clicking on the drawing window produced no response and am now left wondering where I went wrong.
Contributor
thambi
Message 5 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 03:32 AM in reply to: thambi
"expanded the "origin" in the browser window to show the xy, xz and yz plane, SELECTED THE XZ PLANE, clicked on the "look at" icon, clicked on the LINE tool to start a sketch,"

The moment I clicked on the xz plane, the UCS icon rotate to show the red and blue arrow (XZ plane) but the grid pattern disappeared and I am unable to do any sketching even thought the 2D sketch panel shows all the sketch tools. Sigh.
*Rui Vaz
Message 6 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 04:41 AM in reply to: thambi
You sketch on the workplane that is selected. If you want a different one, exit the active sketch first, select the new plane and then SKETCH. -- Rui "thambi" wrote in message news:14298888.1097404356351.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > "expanded the "origin" in the browser window to show the xy, xz and yz plane, SELECTED THE XZ PLANE, clicked on the "look at" icon, clicked on the LINE tool to start a sketch," > > The moment I clicked on the xz plane, the UCS icon rotate to show the red and blue arrow (XZ plane) but the grid pattern disappeared and I am unable to do any sketching even thought the 2D sketch panel shows all the sketch tools. Sigh.
Contributor
thambi
Message 7 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 05:27 AM in reply to: thambi
Reply From: Rui Vaz
"You sketch on the workplane that is selected."

That's the whole trouble, I can't sketch on the selected workplane!!

These are the steps I took with the effects in [ ] bracket:

File/New/Standard.ipt
[UCS red(x) and green(y) visible, grid visible]
Origin/XZ Plane
Look at.....
[UCS red(x) and blue(z) visible, grid no longer visible and I can't sketch]
*Jimmy
Message 8 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 05:54 AM in reply to: thambi
You have to actually select the SKETCH command on the selected workplane. This should present you with grid etc. and allow you to sketch. When through select RETURN. This will exit you out of the sketch manager and allow you to access the modeling module. "thambi" wrote in message news:22987023.1097411305998.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Reply From: Rui Vaz > "You sketch on the workplane that is selected." > > That's the whole trouble, I can't sketch on the selected workplane!! > > These are the steps I took with the effects in [ ] bracket: > > File/New/Standard.ipt > [UCS red(x) and green(y) visible, grid visible] > Origin/XZ Plane > Look at..... > [UCS red(x) and blue(z) visible, grid no longer visible and I can't sketch]
*Jeff Howard
Message 9 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 06:00 AM in reply to: thambi
Are you in Sketch mode (Sketch toolbutton) or feature creation mode (Return toolbutton)? Default when you start a new part file is to be in sketch mode, but there's an option to change that. Aren't there some tutorials in the Getting Started manual (can't remember)? There's a FAQ posted to the NG periodically. It has some links to tutorials. Haven't looked at JD Mather's site in a long time, but he teaches Inventor basics and might have some of the basic getting started stuff (search the NG for his name if it's not listed on the FAQ).
*Rui Vaz
Message 10 of 17 (298 Views)

10-10-2004 07:14 AM in reply to: thambi
When you start a new part, normally (unless you've changed something) you go into sketch mode, so you're already in a sketch. If I were you, I'd take it from there and wouldn't worry if I was on the XY, XZ or whatever plane. When you get more experienced, you'll learn how to configure that. As Jimmy said, after selecting a plane, you have to enter sketch mode in order to "draw". If you can, get some formal training to get started with. Follow steps in tutorial exactly as they say. If they don't tell you to expand the browser, don't until you've completed the steps and start to explore for yourself, but step-by-steps usually have it all and let you get started without much confusion. When you can't complete something, post it here and (even on a Sunday) you'll find someone to give you a push. -- Rui "thambi" wrote in message news:22987023.1097411305998.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Reply From: Rui Vaz > "You sketch on the workplane that is selected." > > That's the whole trouble, I can't sketch on the selected workplane!! > > These are the steps I took with the effects in [ ] bracket: > > File/New/Standard.ipt > [UCS red(x) and green(y) visible, grid visible] > Origin/XZ Plane > Look at..... > [UCS red(x) and blue(z) visible, grid no longer visible and I can't sketch]
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.