Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making group in assembly

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
18395 Views, 8 Replies

making group in assembly

How can I make groups for similar components of assembly such as picture below?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmmm. . The only way that I can think of would be to make a sub-assembly. Create a separate assembly and place all those parts into it, then you would still have to apply all your constraints there, and then place that assembly into a larger assembly and it would display in the tree the way you want it to, but you would have to make any edits to that sub-assembly in its own file, not the larger assembly. So doing that has it's pros & cons. For what appears to be a set of stairs, it would probably work out ok, you're not going to drive any of those constraints or anything like that, they are just stairs sitting there. You can assemble the individual steps to the sides how you want them, call that assembly something like "staircase assy" or whatever you want, then when you put it in your larger assembly instead of having stair 1 stair 2 etc. in the tree, you'll have the "stair assembly" and move on. Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 9
nannerdw

You could also put the components into a folder in your assembly. Select multiple parts in the model tree, right click, and "Add to New Folder."
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: nannerdw

This is the real answer. Inventor calls them Folders instead of Groups.
Message 5 of 9
mdavis22569

I'm not sure what you mean by group ....

However you can do a few things ...

1) a folder ..you pick everything you want and you RMB in the browser and pick the folder option..and it'll move everything picked into it. Or you can drag them in. It will keep all of the constraints...

folder 2.png

2) Make a sub assembly IAM from the main Assembly.  You can pick everything and go to the Browser again and RMB pick Demote

demote.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: mdavis22569

Not to offend, but both you and ed.mccracken are giving answers that were already given to a topic from 2013...
which the OP already picked an answer for...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 9
mdavis22569
in reply to: -niels-

<<<<<< didn't read the date ...just was answering ...now that's funny!  I'm actually laughing with a bit of a red face ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- wrote:
Not to offend, but both you and ed.mccracken are giving answers that were already given to a topic from 2013...
which the OP already picked an answer for...

... although Michael's answer was more complete, giving two options, and for option 2, giving a much better procedure than the original answer.  Might even want to mention that demoting into a subassembly keeps most or all of the constraints.

I'd say one of the EEs ought to mark Michael's answer as a solution.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 9 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

... although Michael's answer was more complete, giving two options, and for option 2, giving a much better procedure than the original answer.  Might even want to mention that demoting into a subassembly keeps most or all of the constraints.

I'd say one of the EEs ought to mark Michael's answer as a solution.

Sam B

I'll agree on that, so marked as second solution.

It was just the resurrection of an old(er) topic with solution that i found a bit unnecessary.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report