Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

machaning of casting

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
msklein
374 Views, 4 Replies

machaning of casting

Just for curiosity how are you handling the machining of a casting part? By inserting into a standard assy or by inserting into a weldment assy and using the machining features. We seem to have people doing it both ways and need to get this standardized. I can kinda see the arguments for both ways.
msk
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: msklein

If it is not a weldment, then Derive Component. Not sure why you would do in assembly if not a weldment unless match-machined with other parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
HallStevenson

We build a model of the casting and then derive it in a new IPT to become the machined part. Because we often machine multiple (different) parts from the same casting, we have to go this direction. Many argue you should make the machined part first and derive the casting from it, by adding stock where needed. That doesn't work (well or cleanly) in our scenario.

Problem is, designs are made with finished parts, not cast parts.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WioCqJ1nbo
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 5
HallStevenson

Mind e-mailing me those files. I think my way might be simpler, accomplish the same result, and have one less file to keep track of.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report