Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lego piece

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
LeedsLad8t6
1395 Views, 11 Replies

lego piece

Hello all :-),

Having some trouble on the outside of this lego piece, can't for the the life of me get the desired result.

Any clues that can set me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Whatever I seem to do it destroys the corner radius/fillet, I can only seem to get the large radius on both sides without the corners being curved...

Images attached, using inventor 2013.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: LeedsLad8t6

I'm not 100% sure what you're looking to get ..but have draft angle might help with part of it

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
glenn-chun

Something like this?

Lego top (Glenn).png

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 4 of 12
LeedsLad8t6
in reply to: glenn-chun

That would be it!

I haven't yet used some of the features I can see in the browser so I will have to give that a study tomrorow.

I knew it was done by something I hadn't touched upon yet.

Thank you very much :).

I will have a few more questions in the future no doubt. Im trying to build model a small lego set.

Just finished the wheel arch now before bed :-p.

Many thanks,

Daniel

Message 5 of 12
LeedsLad8t6

Out of interest do you have that piece of lego yourself or have you done that by eye?

It looks pretty much spot on.
Message 6 of 12
glenn-chun

I don't have the real Lego piece 🙂  I built my model by looking at your image (Lego top example.jpg) and your model (Lego top.ipt).

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 7 of 12
LeedsLad8t6

Brilliant :).

Will be trying it myself tomorrow, is that the simplest way of doing it would you say?

Daniel
Message 8 of 12
glenn-chun

It would be very subjective if I say that's the simplest way Smiley Happy

Some other members could post a simpler or even better way.

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 9 of 12
LeedsLad8t6

Hello Glenn,

I am stuck trying to emulate the part you made. I believe you have swept that 20mm line with the radius at either end as a surface yes?

I cannot figure out how to give it a path to sweep across, is it something to do with the 3d sketch you have put in?

I have attached my second attempt.

Kind regards

Daniel

Message 10 of 12
glenn-chun

Hi Daniel,

I selected the linear edge as a path.  When the sweep feature is created, Inventor automatically creates a 3D sketch from the selected edge(s).  The 3D Sketch1 in your lego try 2.ipt is the correct path, but you don't have to create one manually.  Just select the model edge as a sweep path, and Inventor will create a 3D sketch for you.

On another note, I used the Parallel option in sweep to ensure that the sweep surface is essentially the same as an extrusion surface.  You could achieve the same result if you extrude the same open profile.

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 11 of 12
LeedsLad8t6

In the .ipt I uploaded I click sweep, then select parallel and click the open profile sketch thats 5mm high.

when i go to select a path I can only select the closed profile of the top face, which then gives me an error when I try to sweep.

How did you single out the 3d sketch line only?

Kind regards

Daniel

Message 12 of 12
glenn-chun

When the closed profile is highlighted, do not left-click.  Instead, do the following steps:

(1) Right-click

(2) Click Select Other...

(3) Click the down arrow, and you will see a pull-down menu appear.

(4) [Optional step] Hover the mouse over the various selections, and you will see the corresponding selection highlighted.

(5) Click a selection from the pull-down menu.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report