Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to sweep a solid along a path?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
safiredesignengineers
1795 Views, 9 Replies

is it possible to sweep a solid along a path?

Hi group

Is it possible to sweep a solid along a 3d sketched line path to cut a groove / slot?

this is like milling a slot in material on a milling machine so the cutter goes along a path removing material.

I can draw a rectangle that represents the side plane of a slot type cutter and this works but in the corners it is not working like a round cutter and leaves sharp corners which then need filleting to finish, but also I am not sure if it is cutting exactly as if a solid round/cylinder cutter would.

any thoughts?

regards Adrian

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Group

Ok, using a 2d rectangle (section of solid round cutter) is no good and doesn't replicate how a round cutter would follow a 3d path on a milling machine.

With a round cutter the flat bottom of the cutter has an effect on the slot produced, as the cutter travels along the 3d line that slopes down in a Z direction the back of the cutter will cut deeper than the centre and because it is round it will actually scallop out the bottom of the slot slightly.

Using a 2d rectangle the sweep cuts a flat bottomed slot and the rectangle works on a 90degree perpendicular position from the 3d sketch line which results in angled sides on the cut slot. this is not how a cutter would work.

Please see enclosed part, you can see half of the cutter left over from me messing about which shows the start position of the milling cutter before it runs the slot.

I would like to replicate the milling cutter running through and cutting the slot, this would be possible if a solid could be used as the cutting element along a path in a sweep command.

Any comments?

Regards Adrian

Message 3 of 10

See attached.

Increase pattern number to smooth faces.

Milling.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 10

Hi JD

Thanks for your input and it's a very intesting concept that i will consider for other things as well, but it is not the answer, if you look from the top face you can see the odd angles this process creates, if this was milled with a slot drill the sides would not be angled. perhaps i need to break the 3d cut process into several steps to eliminate this? I will have a play.

Thanks, regards  Adrian

Message 5 of 10

I didn't bother to take the time to make sure your path was correct for the process - I was simply trying to show how you could represent a cutting tool if it is all set up correctly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 10

Hi Adrian. The short answer is no, IV cannot sweep a solid.

You can however get geometry that gives a good representation -- see this post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Sweep-Cut-a-solid/td-p/3251382

Message 7 of 10

If the 2D cutter profile was perpedicular to the cut path would that get you what you need?

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 8 of 10
coreyparks
in reply to: coreyparks

Forgot to attach the file i was playing with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 9 of 10

Hi Corey

thanks for your reply, the 2d cutter profile needs to be perpendiculer / 90 degrees to the top of the main plate and then follow the 3d line path, at the moment the cutter in my origonal and JD's files is running perpendiculer to the 3d path line and also twists a bit when it goes round the bends resulting in tapered sides.

JD's input looks a great potential solution but I have not had the time to play with it to make it path better on the required 3d line..

regards Adrian

Message 10 of 10

Sorry that reply was meant for another thread.  Take a look at the file I have attached now and see if this might create some ideas.  rather a pain to create and it left a face artifact I had to delete manually but it gives the geometry you are looking for I think.  I wouldn't want to have to create this very often.

Corey Parks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report