Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is delete face the correct tool to remove unwanted material inside rail

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Zac-C
966 Views, 6 Replies

is delete face the correct tool to remove unwanted material inside rail

i want to remove unwanted material from inside the rail.If Delete Face the correct tool how do i use to remove this unwanted material....

Another option is to create with Frame Generator.How would i make the upright post shape where i have used the Sculpt tool.Would i have to create the custom shape and then publish?

Also i thought of Assembly file which i think would be a good way to create this guard rail.If i constraint the individual parts to an assembly could i remove the unwanted material?

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

INV 2013/2014

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nkeeley
in reply to: Zac-C

Well, I'm sure others will recommend cleaner ways to do it, but this works off what you already have. Picture attached. I would of attached the new part file, but there was some error. It wouldn't let me create any features.

Anyways, I shared the sketches under the sweep, moved the end of part above the sweep and created a new 3D sketch of the section I want to cut away. Then I think you could use sweep to remove the tops of those pinched tubes and move your end of part back to the bottom and you should be set. I'm surprised you're modeling it as a single part though, since it will will be built in parts. Might be easier to manage. Also, consider pinching the tube ends of the sweep instead of coping. It will be cheaper.

Good luck!

Nathan

Message 3 of 7
chad38

Why did the tubes get modeled pinched in if you didn't want them that way?

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 7
Zac-C

Thanks Nathan,I will look at your suggestion.

Chad38,but i do want the pinched tubes.The top of the pinched tube stops in the middle of the top rail.I wanted to remove the excess material so the top of the pinched tube meets the bottom of the rail.

see attached....

I woulld prefer to make the parts individually and assemble in assembly file.Your thoughts

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

@ijc wrote:
I woulld prefer to make the parts individually and assemble in assembly file.Your thoughts

I would probably make something this small as a multi-body solids without using Frame Generator.

Then push out the assembly and individual parts by Manage>Make Components.

I would not use Delete Face (almost always the wrong tool when used by beginners).

Entire thing should take about 30 minutes start-to-finish given that the dimensions have already been determined.

Let me look around for a pinched pipe example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
Zac-C

appreciated...

I will look at the following recommendation.....do you re-assemble once the parts have been pushed out

I would probably make something this small as a multi-body solids without using Frame Generator.

Then push out the assembly and individual parts by Manage>Make Components.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

@ijc wrote:
.....do you re-assemble once the parts have been pushed out

Don't have to - they are already pushed out into assembly position - simply ground the parts (in this case).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report